India Vs Namibia Quick Review – India deliver victory on Ravi Shastri-Bharat Arun-Sridhar-Captain Kohli era.
Final game of the Super 12s in the T20 World Cup.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Toss: India won the toss and chose to field first.
Venue: Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai, UAE
Umpires: Chris Brown & Richard Illingworth
What Actually Happened
- Winner: India won by 9 wickets
- Scores: Namibia 132/8 India 136/1
- Player of the Match: Ravindra Jadeja 3/16
- Best Figures
- Ravindra Jadeja (4-0-16-3), Ravichandran Ashwin (4-0-20-3)
- Jan Frylinck (2-0-19-2)
- Most Runs
- David Wiese 26 (25)
- Rohit Sharma 56 (37), KL Rahul 54* (36)
Moments of The Day: Same Story, Different Opposition
This match was similar to the India-Scotland match. Spinners choked the Associate nation, while Rohit-Rahul finished the rest.
- Stephan Baard & Michael van Lingen started positively, scoring 33 in just 4.3 overs. However Bumrah and Jadeja soon reduced Namibia to 39/3. Jadeja was good, but the pick of the bowlers was Ashwin for me – The bowled off Green and couple of edges to slips were proper Test match off spin.
- Wiese’s 26, along with Frylinck & Trumpelmann’s finishing helped Namibia to a competitive total. Altogether, David Wiese ended up as the fourth highest run-scorer at the end of the Super 12s with 227 runs, best of 66*, average of 45.40 & 127.50 SR. Not bad for someone representing Namibia for the first time.
- Since the Afghanistan game, 4 players have had standout performances for Team India:
- Jadeja: 1/19, 3/16, 3/15
- Ashwin: 2/14, 1/29, 3/20
- Sharma: 74, 30, 56
- Rahul: 69, 50, 54*
- While Rahul & Sharma almost killed the chase with a beautiful highlight package, Suryakumar Yadav was promoted ahead of Virat Kohli. A classic 25* (19) followed including an inside out shot and a pull. When asked later about the move, Kohli responded with, “Surya didn’t get much game time,…, and it’s a nice [World Cup] memory of him to take back.“
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: The Ravi Shastri Era Ends
- Even though India did not win an ICC trophy during his tenure, India made large strides, especially in Test cricket. R Sridhar improved fielding standards all around and Bharat Arun is credited for the rise of India’s fast bowling attack around the globe. Ravi Shastri instilled the confidence which was evident in the home/away England series & the 2 series victories overseas against Australia, especially Gabba 2021 (rising from 36 All Out). An almost 2.0 W/L ratio across formats is unprecedented for an Indian coach.
- He also mentioned that not having enough rest between the IPL and the World T20 attributed to not being switched on during crunch situations and pressure matches early on.
- In any case, I will leave you with his own quote from today, “Sometimes in life, it’s not about all you accomplish, it’s about what you overcome.” Beautiful.
Have a great journey ahead coach! Whether that is coaching in the IPL or back to the commentary! Would also love to see a more free Virat Kohli.
T20 World Cup Points Table, Most Runs, Wickets, Catches, Dismissals
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table, Highest Run Scorer, Highest Wicket Taker, Most Catches, and Most Dismissals. We will keep updating it in every article!
- Babar Azam – 264 runs (Pakistan, 5 Matches)
- Wanindu Hasaranga – 16 wickets (Sri Lanka, 8 Matches)
- Calum MacLeod – 8 catches (Scotland, 7 Matches)
- Matthew Wade – 8 dismissals (Australia, 5 Matches)
Group 1 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. England||5||4||1||0||8||+ 2.464|
|2. Australia||5||4||1||0||8||+ 1.216|
|3. South Africa||5||4||1||0||8||+ 0.739|
|4. Sri Lanka||5||2||3||0||4||– 0.269|
|5. West Indies||5||1||4||0||2||– 1.641|
|6. Bangladesh||5||0||5||0||0||– 2.383|
Group 2 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. Pakistan||5||5||0||0||10||+ 1.583|
|2. New Zealand||5||4||1||0||8||+ 1.162|
|3. India||5||2||2||0||6||+ 1.747|
|4. Afghanistan||5||2||3||0||4||+ 1.053|
|5. Namibia||5||1||4||0||2||– 1.890|
|6. Scotland||5||0||5||0||0||– 3.543|
Also, if you have not yet read our T20 World Cup Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- A Review – Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka
- B Review – Group B 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Scotland
- 1 Review – Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies
- 2 Review – Group 2 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, New Zealand
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 11/08/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).
Image Courtesy: Graphic (original work), Kyle Coetzer – Photo by Francois Nel-ICC/ICC via Getty Images, Mahmudullah – Photo by Mike Hewitt-ICC/ICC via Getty Images