Salary of Cricketers (Men’s) from Each of the 12 Nations (2022)—The Complete Guide
Today we rank the salary of cricketers (men) from each Test playing nation.
Trent Boult’s shock yet understandable decision to leave the New Zealand contract has put the cricket world into frenzy. This begs the question of how much do cricketers from each country earn from a national contract.
The salary of cricketers in Australia from central contracts and match fees is the most lucrative between $362,500-1.75 million with England & India close behind with salary up to $1.5 million & 1.295 million respectively. Afghanistan, $20,000-40,000 and Zimbabwe at $4,000-90,000 rank at the bottom of the spectrum. New Zealand, South Africa, and West Indies players earn somewhere in the middle, which is why several of them have to go to England, Australia, and India to ply their trade to earn a bit more.
We present a complete breakdown of the earnings and rank each nation’s central contract strength from lowest to highest.
This is Part II of our new series, Cricket & Finances. Here is the article from Part I of the series, How Much Do Different Types of Cricketers Earn Per Year (2022)? Salaries of Pujara, Stokes, Warner, Billings, Tim David Revealed! You don’t want to miss this one out!
Salary of Cricketers from Each Nation – The Complete List (Lowest to Highest)
For the sake of this analysis, we will only consider the 12 Test playing nations.
How Did We Calculate the Estimated Salary Ranges?
We have done a bit of research based on annual reports, press releases, and trusted sources from each national board. We arrived at estimates for player salaries based on retainer central contracts and match fees. Brand endorsements, sponsorships, team/board bonuses, and match awards are not taken into consideration.
All of our sources are listed below each nation’s analysis for your reference.
General Source (for highest paid in 2017): Cricket Monthly (ESPN Cricinfo)
12. Afghanistan Cricketer Salary: $20,000-40,000Embed from Getty Images
Afghanistan Cricket National Contract Estimated Salary
Estimated Salary Range: $20,000-$40,000 (which may vary depending on the contract grade)
Afghanistan Cricket Board Annual Report Analysis
Since data is not widely available on Afghanistan central contracts, we make an educated estimate based on their annual report. As per ACB’s 2020 Annual report, the ACB had a revenue of $7.15 million and expenses around $6.76 million (images attached below). From the expenses, $1.71 million was administrative cost, while $5.05 million was technical cost.
Around $1.937 million was spent on international cricket, $1.44 million accrual of 2020 (or prior) overall, and $ 883,000 was spent on HR activities. Although it is not stated what portion of this money was allocated for player salaries, we can estimate that around $1 million were spent on salaries of players, coaches, support staff, etc. Currently, there are 34 centrally contracted players (listed below). Hence, we came up with the above estimate for the Afghanistan cricketer salary.
List of Afghanistan Centrally Contracted Cricketers
- Grade A: Rashid Khan, Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi
- Grade B: Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Rahmat Shah, Naveen Ul Haq, Gulbadin Naib, Hazratullah Zazai
- Grade C: Samiullah Shinwari, Usman Ghani, Mohammad Javed Ahmadi, Amir Hamza, Ikram Alikhil, Ibrahim Zadran, Noor Ali Zadran, Ihsanullah Janat, Nasir Jamal, Qais Ahamd, Shapoor Zadran, Sayed Ahmad, Mohammad Yamin Ahmadzai, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Zahir Khan, Fareed Ahmad, Mujeeb ur Rahman, Afsar Khan, Karim Janat, Sharafuddin Ashraf, Hamid Hassan
- Grade D: Mohammad Shahzad, Mirwais Ashraf, Aftab Alam, Wafadar Momand, Dawlat Zadran
Match fees information is not available for Afghanistan cricket.
*Note: The annual report is from 2020, prior to the Taliban takeover. No official data is available since the political situation changed in Afghanistan. For example, 25 centrally contracted women’s cricketers were added in 2020 and several development programs started. This is, most likely, no longer the case.
Sources: Contract List, Annual Report, Etisalat Signs up as Official SPL Sponsor
11. Zimbabwe Cricketer Salary: $44,000-90,000Embed from Getty Images
Estimated Salary Range: $44,000-$90,000
According to Zimbabwe’s 2020-21 Annual Report, they had allocated $659,827 for statutory obligations and salaries, $788,891 for salaries in domestic cricket, and $1,620,326 for HR-related activities in international cricket.
Zimbabwe Cricket National Contract
Based on Cricket Monthly, in 2017 Zimbabwe’s players earned:
- Top Tier: $66,000
- Middle Tier: $48,000
- Bottom Tier: $36,000
What Are Match Fees for Zimbabwean Cricketers?
- Test: $2,000
- ODI: $1,000
- T20I: $500
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), Zimbabwe played a total of 15 ODIs ($15,000), and 16 T20Is ($8,000).
Zimbabwe cricket has faced lots of contract negotiation issues over the years, but it seems like not much as changed since 2013. In 2013, ESPNCricinfo reported Zimbabwean domestic cricketer’s salary as follows:
- Grade X: $60,000
- Grade A: $42,000
- Grade B: $24,000
- Grade C: $18,000
- Rookie: $3,600
Zimbabwe Cricket Highest Paid (2017)
Graeme Cremer was the highest earned Zimbabwe cricketer (from central contracts & match fees only), estimated around $90,000.
Sources: Herald, Cricinfo 2013, Annual Report, Nineteen Zimbabwe women offered central contracts for 2022-23 (espncricinfo.com)
10. Ireland Cricketer Salary: $90,000-100,000Embed from Getty Images
Estimated Average Salary: $94,800
Ireland Cricket National Contract
- Central Contract: $75,000
According to Ireland’s 2019 Directors’ Report and Financial Statements, the wages and salaries amounted to $3.7 million (3,690,196 euros), from which $1.57 million (1,557,584 euros) was allocated for high performance player contracts & match fees distributed among 25 centrally contracted players.
What Are Match Fees for South African Cricketers?
- ODI: $1,100
- T20I: $450
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), South Africa played a total of 9 ODIs ($9,900), and 22 T20Is ($9,900).
A player who played all three formats in this time period would have earned $19,800 in match fees alone.
List of Centrally Contracted Ireland Cricketers 2022-23
- 2-year Contracts: Mark Adair, Andrew Balbirnie, Curtis Campher, Gareth Delany, Josh Little, Andy McBrine, Neil Rock, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Craig Young
- 1-Year Contract: Peter Chase, George Dockrell, Shane Getkate, Barry McCarthy, James McCollum, Ben White, William Porterfield (now retired)
Sources: Cricket Ireland offers 12 two-year central contracts as part of improved men’s contract system (cricketworld.com)
9. Bangladesh Cricketer Salary: $55,000-212,000Embed from Getty Images
Maximum Possible Salary: $211,950 (Top Tier Contract + 3-format Maximum Match Fees)
Minimum Possible Salary: $54,950 (Bottom Tier Contract + T20Is only)
Bangladesh Cricket National Contract
- Top Tier: $60,000
- Mid-Tier: $30,000
- Bottom Tier: $15,000
What Are Match Fees for Bangladesh Cricketers?
- Test: $7,000 (600,000 BDT)
- ODI: $3,500 (300,000 BDT)
- T20I: $2,350 (200,000 BDT)
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), Bangladesh played a total of 10 Tests ($70,000), 12 ODIs ($42,000), and 17 T20Is ($39,950).
A player who played all three formats in this time period would have earned $151,950 in match fees alone
List of Bangladesh Centrally Contracted Cricketers 2022-23
- All-format: Shakib Al Hasan, Liton Das, Taskin Ahmed, Shoriful Islam
- Tests and ODIs: Tamim Iqbal, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mehidy Hasan
- Tests Only: Mominul Haque, Ebadot Hossain, Mahmudul Hasan Joy, Shadman Islam, Yasir Ali, Najmul Hossain Shanto, Taijul Islam
- ODIs and T20Is only: Mahmudullah, Mustafizur Rahman, Afif Hossain
Bangladesh Cricket Highest Paid (2017)
Shakib Al Hasan was the highest earned Bangladesh cricketer (from central contracts & match fees only), estimated around $140,000.
Sources: Shakib Al Hasan among five Bangladesh players offered all-format central contracts (espncricinfo.com), ESPNCricinfo, BCB Guidelines
8. Pakistan Cricketer Salary: $72,000-280,000Embed from Getty Images
Estimated Average Range: $72,300–145,350 (with some players with higher salaries due to negotiations)
Pakistan Cricket National Contract
- Top Tier – Red Ball: $56,400 (12,600,000 PKR)
- Top Tier – White Ball: $51,600 (11,400,000 PKR)
What Are Match Fees for Pakistani Cricketers?
- Test: $3,800 (838, 530 PKR)
- ODI: $2,300 (515,696 PKR)
- T20I: $1,735 (372,075 PKR)
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), Pakistan played a total of 7 Tests ($26,600), 9 ODIs ($20,700), and 24 T20Is ($41,640).
A player who played all three formats in this time period would have earned $88,940 in match fees alone.
Pakistan Cricket Highest Paid (2017)
In 2017, Sarfaraz Ahmed was the highest earned Bangladesh cricketer (from central contracts & match fees only), estimated around $270,000.
Pakistani players named in PCB central contracts 2022-23 will be paid 838,000 PKR per Test match, 515,000 PKR for an ODI and 372,075 PKR for a T20i match. There is 10% increase in salaries.— Arfa Feroz Zake (@ArfaSays_) August 11, 2022
Sources: Pakistan’s leading players agree to amended central contracts (espncricinfo.com), GeoTV, ESPN Cricinfo, ICC, Hindustan Times
7. Sri Lanka Cricketer Salary: $65,000-351,000Embed from Getty Images
Maximum Possible Salary: $351,000 (A1 Contract + 3-format Maximum Fees)
Minimum Possible Salary: $65,000 (D3 Contract + ODI Player Only)
Sri Lanka Cricket National Contract and Player List
- A1: $100,000 (Dhananjaya de Silva, Niroshan Dickwella)
- A2: $80,000 (Angelo Mathews, Kusal Perera)
- A3: $70,000 (Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis)
- B1: $65,000 (Dasun Shanaka, Suranga Lakmal (now retired))
- B2: $60,000 (Lasith Embuldeniya, Wanindu Hasaranga)
- B3: $55,000 (Lahiru Thirimanne, Pathum Nissanka)
- C1: $50,000 (Kasun Rajitha, Dushmantha Chameera)
- C2: $45,000 (Dinesh Chandimal, Lakshan Sandakan)
- C3: $40,000 (Vishwa Fernando, Isuru Udana (now retired)
- D1: $35,000 (Oshada Fernano, Ramesh Mendis)
- D2: $30,000 (Danushka Gunathilaka, Lahiru Kumara)
- D3: $25,000 (Akila Dananjaya, Ashen Bandara)
*there are additional bonuses for team victories against top opponents ($150,000 for series victory vs #1 team, $125, 000 vs #2 team, etc. till $30,000 bonus for series win vs #7 team)
What Are Match Fees for Sri Lankan Cricketers?
- Test: $7,500
- ODI: $5,000
- T20I: $4,000
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), Sri Lanka played a total of 10 Tests ($75,000), 8 ODIs ($40,000), and 17 T20Is ($136,000).
A player who played all three formats in this time period would have earned $251,000 in match fees alone.
Sri Lanka Cricket Highest Paid (2017)
Angelo Matthews was the highest earned Sri Lankan cricketer (from central contracts & match fees only), estimated around $320,000.
6. South Africa Cricketer Salary: $70,000-468,000Embed from Getty Images
Maximum Possible Salary: $468,793 (Top Tier contract + All 3-format Maximum Match Fees)
Estimated Average Salary Range: $68,000-$185,000 (1.1-3 million South African Rands)
South African Cricket National Contract
- Top Tier: $363,000
- Medium Tier: $221,000
- Bottom Tier: $145,000
What Are Match Fees for South African Cricketers?
- Test: $6,925
- ODI: $1,900
- T20I: $911
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), South Africa played a total of 10 Tests ($69,250), 13 ODIs ($24,700), and 13 T20Is ($11,843).
A player who played all three formats in this time period would have earned $105,793 in match fees alone.
South African Cricket Highest Paid (2017)
Faf Du Plessis was the highest earned South African cricketer (from central contracts & match fees only), estimated around $440,000.
List of Centrally Contracted South African Players 2022-23
Temba Bavuma, Dean Elgar, Quinton de Kock, Beuran Hendricks, Reeza Hendricks, Heinrich Klaasen, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Rassie van der Dussen
- Part I – How Much Do Different Types of Cricket Players Earn
- Part III – Richest Cricket Leagues
- Part IV – Richest Cricket Boards
5. West Indies Cricketer Salary: $140,000-300,000Embed from Getty Images
Maximum Possible Salary: $266,720 (Top Tier + All 3-format Maximum Match Fee)
Minimum Possible Salary: $140,250 (Bottom Tier Contract + Tests only)
Average Salary: $236,726.43
West Indies Cricket National Contract (2017)
- Top Tier: $140,000
- Mid Tier: $120,000
- Bottom Tier: $100,000
According to CWI’s 2021 Financial Statements, overall international retainers added to $2,248,583 and match fees amounted to $3,454,310. Including captain’s allowances, players insurance, injury payments, incentives, franchise retainers, etc., the total payment to players totaled a whopping $8,758,878.
Overall, WI have 18 contracted players for the men’s team & 19 for the women’s respectively. Assuming the men & women early equally, on average retainer + match fee is about $236,726.43 per West Indian cricketer.
What Are Match Fees for West Indian Cricketers?
- Test: $5,750
- ODI: $2,300
- T20I: $1,735
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), West Indies played a total of 7 Tests ($40,250), 21 ODIs ($48,300), and 24 T20Is ($41,640).
A player who played all three formats in this time period would have earned $130,190 in match fees alone.
West Indies Cricket Contracted Players List 2021-22
- All-Format Contract: Jason Holder
- Red Ball Only: Kraigg Brathwaite, Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner, Rahkeem Cornwall, Joshua Da Silva, Shannon Gabriel, Kyle Mayers, Kemar Roach
- White Ball Only: Fabien Allen, Darren Bravo, Shai Hope, Akeal Hosein, Evin Lewis, Alzarri Joseph, Nicholas Pooran, Hayden Walsh Jr.
- Brandon King, Obed McCoy, Rovman Powell, Romario Shepherd, Odean Smith have been added for the 2022-23 contract list
*An interesting note in CWI’s statement: ‘A number of players were not retained because they did not meet the minimum requirements.’
West Indies Cricket Highest Paid (2017)
Jason Holder was the highest earned West Indian cricketer (from central contracts & match fees only), estimated around $270,000.
Sources: Cricinfo – Match Fees, West Indies Board, Cricinfo
4. New Zealand Cricketer Salary: $258,000-500,000Embed from Getty Images
Maximum Possible Earnings: $450,000 (highest retainer + 3-format max match fees)
Minimum Possible Earnings: $258,498 (lowest retainer + T20I match fees only)
New Zealand Cricket National Contract 2022
- Retainer: $236,000-$336,000 USD ($367,196-$523,396 NZD)
New Zealand Cricket Match Fees (Per Match)
- Tests: $6,600 USD ($10,250 NZD)
- ODIs: $2,500 USD ($4,000 NZD)
- T20Is: $1,607 USD ($2,500 NZD)
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), New Zealand played a total of 9 Test matches ($59,400), 13 ODIs ($32,500), and 14 T20Is ($22,498).
A New Zealander men’s cricketer playing all three formats would have earned up to $114,398 in match fees in the 2021-22 season. Hence, Trent Boult is trying to make the most of this match fee while giving up his $300,000+ retainer.
New Zealand Cricket Highest Paid (2018)
Kane Williamson was the highest earned New Zealand cricketer (from central contracts & match fees only), estimated around $289,000.
New Zealand Cricket Contract List 2022-23
Tom Blundell, Trent Boult, Michael Bracewell, Devon Conway, Colin de Grandhomme, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Kyle Jamieson, Tom Latham, Daryl Mitchell, Henry Nicholls, Ajaz Patel, Glenn Phillips, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Neil Wagner, Kane Williamson, Will Young
Source: Stuff.co.nz Press Release, ICC, Stuff.Co.Nz – Women’s Cricket Salary Doubles
3. India Cricketer Salary: $191,000-1.3 MillionEmbed from Getty Images
Indian Cricket National Contract Retainer Fee and Players 2022-23
Maximum Possible Earnings: $1,295,302 (Grade A+ Contract + Maximum fees for a 3-format player who plays in the XI)
Minimum Possible Earnings: $191, 235 (Grade C Contract + Minimum Fees for 1-format player who is on the sidelines in every game)
- Grade A+: Rs. 7 Crores ($877,800)
- Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah
- Grade A: Rs. 5 Crores ($627,000)
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, KL Rahul, Mohammad Shami, Rishabh Pant
- Grade B: Rs. 3 Crores ($376,200)
- Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane, Axar Patel, Shardul Thakur, Shreyas Iyer, Mohammad Siraj, Ishant Sharma
- Grade C: Rs. 1 Crore ($125,400)
- Shikhar Dhawan, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Hardik Pandya, Washington Sundar, Deepak Chahar, Shubman Gill, Hanuma Vihari, Yuzvendra Chahal, Suryakumar Yadav, Wriddhiman Saha, Mayank Agarwal
What are Match Fees for Indian Cricketers?
For a player in the XI for these formats, an Indian player earns
- Test: Rs. 15 Lakh ($18,800)
- ODI: Rs. 6 Lakh ($7,524)
- T20I: Rs. 3 Lakh ($3,762)
*However, the fee is deducted 50% if the player is in the squad but not playing in the XI. The corresponding figures are $9,400 (Tests), $3,762 (ODIs), and $1,881 (T20Is).
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), India played a total of 8 Test matches ($150,400), 18 ODIs ($135,432), and 35 T20Is ($131,670).
For someone who played all three formats and every game in this time period, that player had the potential to earn up to $417,502 in match fees on top of their annual contract.
Indian Cricket Highest Paid (2017)
Virat Kohli was the highest earned Indian cricketer (from central contracts & match fees only), estimated around $1,000,000.
Sources: BCCI Player List, ICC Report 2021, ESPNCricinfo Match Fees, NDTV – 2022 Contract Report
2. England Cricketer Salary: $350,000-1.5 MillionEmbed from Getty Images
Maximum Possible Earnings: $1.51 million (Full Contract + Maximum Fees for 3-format player)
Minimum Possible Earnings: $349,500 (White Ball Only + 1-format ODI player only)
England Cricket Central Contracts
- Full Contract (Max): $1.125 million (925,000 pounds)
*Between 2016-2021, contracts were separated based on formats (figures below) but now are divided between central contracts, increment contracts, and pace bowling development contracts.
- Red Ball Only: $790,000 (650,000 pounds)
- White Ball Only: $300,000-365,000 (250,000-300,000 pounds)
What Are Match Fees for England Cricketers?
- Tests: $17,600 (14,500 pounds)
- White Ball: $5,500 (4,500 pounds)
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), England played a total of 15 Tests ($264,000), 9 ODIs ($49,500), and 13 T20Is ($71,500).
For someone who played all three formats and every game in this time period, that player had the potential to earn up to $385,000 in match fees on top of their annual contract.
England Cricket Highest Paid (2017)
Joe Root was the highest-paid cricketer from England (from central contracts & match fees only), estimated around $1,380,000.
England Cricket Contract List 2022-23
- Full Contract: Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Jonathan Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Zak Crawley, Sam Curran, Jack Leach, Dawid Malan, Eoin Morgan, Ollie Pope, Adil Rashid, Ollie Robinson, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood
- Increment Contracts: Dom Bess, Tom Curran, Chris Jordan, Liam Livingstone
- Pace bowling development contracts: Saqib Mahmood, Craig Overton, Olly Stone
Sources: The Cricketer, ECB Financial Statements & Annual Reports
1. Australia Cricketer Salary: $362,500-1.75 MillionEmbed from Getty Images
Maximum Salary Estimate: $1.75 million (Negotiated Contract + All 3-formats Maximum Match Fees)
Minimum Salary Estimate: $362,500 (Minimum Contract + Home Test matches only)
Australia Cricket National Contract
- Minimum Contract: $300,000
- Average Contract: $800,000
It is reported that players like David Warner and other prominent Australian cricketers may earn upwards of $1.5 million based on the final negotiations.
What are Match Fees for Australian Cricketers?
For a player in the XI for these formats, an Indian player earns
- Home Test Fees: $12,500 USD ($18,000 AUD)
- Away Test Fees: $17,725 USD ($25,000 AUD)
- ODI Fees: $4,800 USD ($7,000 AUD)
- T20I Fees: $3,800 USD ($5,500 AUD)
Estimated Match Fees: Between November 2021 and October 2022 (between the two consecutive T20 World Cups), Australia played a total of 10 Test matches (5 Home – $62,500, 5 Away – $88,625), 14 ODIs ($67,200), and 17 T20Is ($64,600).
A player who played all formats during this time period could have earned match fees alone up to $282,925.
Australia Cricket Highest Paid (2017)
Steve Smith was the highest earned Australian cricketer (from central contracts & match fees only), estimated around $1, 470,000.
Australia Cricket Contract List 2022-23
Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner, Adam Zampa
Sources: Big names miss out in CA contract shake-up | cricket.com.au, Contracted Players
Frequently Asked Questions
Photo Courtesy: Embeded from Getty Images
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 08/10/2022. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).