CSK Vs MI- IPL 2021 Match 27 Review: Pollard Powers Resurgent MI to Memorable Chase
CSK Vs MI – IPL 2021 Match #27 Quick Review! What a Game! Pollard Power to the Fore! The best game of IPL 2021 so far.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Scorecard: CSK Vs MI Video Highlights
Toss: MI won the toss and chose to field first.
Venue: Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi
Umpires: KN Ananthapadmanabhan & Nandan
What Actually Happened
- Winner: Mumbai Indians won by 4 wickets.
- Scores: CSK 218-4 Vs MI 219-6
- Player of the Match: Kieron Pollard
- Best Figures
- Kieron Pollard – 2/12
- Sam Curran – 3/34
- Most Runs
- Ambati Rayudu – 72* (27)
- Kieron Pollard – 87* (34)
Moments of The Day: Rayudu’s Hitting & Pollard’s Epic All-Round Show
Here are my moments of today:
- Faf du Plessis-Moeen Ali’s consistency at the top drives CSK. After Ruturaj departed for 4, onus was on Faf-Moeen to repeat what they have done all-tournament, and they did not disappoint. Aggressive 108 partnership in 61 balls, with both amassing fifties set the tone for the carnage to follow.
- Ambati Rayudu’s free-flowing nature gets CSK past 200. Rayudu’s career has perhaps been the greatest Broken Dream in recent Indian cricket. At an ODI overage of 47.05 with 3 centuries & 10 fifties, it is a shame he only played 55 ODIs and was dropped at the eve of the 2019 World Cup. 2004 India U-19 member, in-and-out of the international team, run-ins with the management, the Indian Cricket League stint—he has seen it all, but this innings was the most fluent I have ever seen him play. He had a really good IPL as an opener a couple of seasons back, and this 72* (27) in the middle order showed his versatility. 7 sixes, 4 fours, 102* (49) partnership where ‘finisher’ Jadeja ended with 22* (22). Brilliant.
- Pollard can do no wrong. When Faf & Moeen were galloping along, Pollard was given the ball in the 11th over. He delivered right away with medium-pace dibbly-dobblies, taking back-to-back wickets of du Plessis & Suresh Raina. When Pollard came in to bat, Mumbai Indians still needed 138 in 62 balls. After getting an eye in, he was just 3 (5). In came Jadeja, Pollard smashed 3 sixes in 4 balls and never looked back.
Definitely one of the best IPL all-round shows of all-time.
Honorable Mention: Hardik Pandya’s cameo with back-to-back sixes brings MI closer; Sam Curran almost brings CSK back into the game with yorkers at the death; Quinton de Kock-Rohit Sharma set 71-run opening partnership for MI
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: Du Plessis Drops Catch, What?
There are two ways at looking at this game: 1. Brilliant game between the two best sides of the IPL that added another classic to its memories; 2. Good game, but CSK’s faults gave Pollard and co enough opportunity to bounce back. Here are chances CSK gave away.
- Sam Curran has just delivered a 2-run/wicket over in the 17th and Chennai are back in it. Shardul Thakur gives up a couple of boundaries but CSK hold the upper-hand with 34 needed in 14. Thakur bowls, Pollard swipes, Faf runs in and drops it. Straight through his fingers. 2 runs taken. Pollard still alive. The game changing moment.
- Shardul Thakur & Lungi Ngidi’s expensive figures gives MI the advantage. Thakur finished with 4-0-56-1 while Ngidi ended with 4-0-62-0, including the full-toss filled last over.
- Why did the field not come in with 2 needed in 1 ball? Usually in a close game, some time is taken and field is brought it before the last ball, but completely opposite in this case. Would not have mattered given how Pollard was batting, but this was just too easy for him.
- Suresh Raina’s IPL is going downhill after the 54 in the opening game. He has scored 69 runs at 17.25 in the other 5 matches he had a bat.
IPL 2021 Points Table, Orange Cap, & Purple Cap Leaders
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table, Orange Cap, & Purple Cap. We will keep updating it in every article!
- Shikhar Dhawan – 380 runs (PBKS, 8 matches)
- Harshal Patel – 17 wickets (RCB, 7 matches)
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. Delhi Capitals||8||6||2||0||12||+0.547|
|2. Chennai Super Kings||7||5||2||0||10||+1.263|
|3. Royal Challengers Bangalore||7||5||2||0||10||-0.171|
|4. Mumbai Indians||7||4||3||0||8||+ 0.062|
|5. Rajasthan Royals||7||3||4||0||6||-0.190|
|6. Punjab Kings||8||3||5||0||6||-0.368|
|7. Kolkata Knight Riders||7||2||5||0||4||-0.494|
|8. Sunrisers Hyderabad||7||1||6||0||2||-0.623|
Also, if you have not yet read our IPL Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- Chennai Super Kings – CSK Preview
- Delhi Capitals – DC Preview
- Kolkata Knight Riders – KKR Preview
- Mumbai Indians – MI Preview
- Punjab Kings – PBKS Preview
- Rajasthan Royals – RR Preview
- Royal Challengers Bangalore – RCB Preview
- Sunrisers Hyderabad – SRH Preview
Copyright (2021: 4/12/2021)– @Nitesh Mathur, aka Nit-X – firstname.lastname@example.org