Caribbean Premier League 2021 (CPL 2021): Everything You Need To Know Quickly—Teams, Fixtures, & Predictions
Caribbean Premier League (CPL 2021)—The party is back in town once again!
The West Indies have just finished a marathon 14 game home T20I season against South Africa, Australia, and Pakistan.
It is now time for the domestic West Indies T20 league and for fringe players to make their cases. In the first 3 days of CPL 2021, we have had so many great moments—Dre Russ’s 14-ball 50, TKR already losing a game, Faf’s comeback from concussion, Sherfane Rutherford’s magnificent form, Tims (David & Seifert) having breakout seasons, and experienced Amir-Udana-Rampaul-Tahir topping the bowling charts so far. If you haven’t been watching, this is time to switch your TVs back on, especially with the T20 World Cup approaching soon.
Here is everything you need to know about CPL 2021.
Also Read: 42 Contenders For 23-Men West Indies T20 World Cup Squad: #17-24 Will Shock You!, Nicholas Pooran, A Story of Pain, Hope, & Inspiration: The Next Big Thing of West Indies & World Cricket
- Matches: 33 (6 teams, 10 matches each, double round robin, top 4 qualify for semi-finals)
- Teams: Barbados Royals, Guyana Amazon Warriors, Jamaica Tallawahs, St. Kitts & Nevis Patriots, Saint Lucia Kings, Trinbago Knight Riders
- Dates: August 26th- September 15th
- Venues: Warner Park Sporting Complex, Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis
- Trinbago Knight Riders: 2015, 2017, 2018, 2020 (Won)
- Barbados Royals: 2014, 2019 (Won)
- Jamaica Tallawahs: 2013, 2016 (Won)
- Guyana Amazon Warriors: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019 (Runners Up)
- Saint Lucia Kings: 2020 (Runners Up)
- St. Kitts and Nevis Patriots: 2017 (Runners Up)
CPL 2021: Teams & Expected Playing XI
Barbados Tridents & Saint Lucia Zouks no more, we now have Barbados Royals (from Rajasthan Royals) & Saint Lucia Kings (from Punjab Kings).
The Indian Premier League is slowly taking over the world.
*Teams highlighted in their respective jersey colors
Trinbago Knight Riders
- West Indies Internationals: Kieron Pollard (C), Darren Bravo, Lendl Simmons, Sunil Narine, Denesh Ramdin (WK), Ravi Rampaul, Jayden Seales, Akeal Hosein, Khary Pierre, Anderson Phillip
- West Indies Domestic: Leonardo Julien (WK), Tion Webster
- Foreign Recruits: Ali Khan (USA), Colin Munro, Tim Seifert (NZ), Isuru Udana (SL), Yasir Shah (Pakistan)
Coaching Staff: Imran Jan
I am looking forward to the New Zealand duo Munro & Seifert along with the fast bowling trio – experienced Rampaul, promising Seales, & energetic Ali Khan.
Trinbago Knight Riders Expected XI:
- Lendl Simmons, 2. Tim Seifert, 3. Colin Munro, 4. Darren Bravo, 5. Kieron Pollard, 6. Sunil Narine, 7. Denesh Ramdin, 8. Ravi Rampaul/Isuru Udana, 9. Jayden Seales, 10. Ali Khan, 11. Akeal Hosein
- West Indies Internationals: Jason Holder (C), Johnson Charles (WK), Shai Hope (WK), Kyle Mayers, Ashley Nurse, Raymon Reifer, Oshane Thomas, Hayden Walsh Jr.
- West Indies Domestic: Joshua Bishop, Justin Greaves, Nyeem Young
- Foreign Recruits: Azam Khan – WK, Mohammad Amir (Pakistan), Jake Lintott (England), Smit Patel – WK (USA/ former India), Thisara Perera (Sri Lanka), Glenn Phillips – WK (New Zealand)
Coaching Staff: Trevor Penney
I am looking forward to the foreign contingent. Jake Lintott had a successful Hundred season, Glenn Phillips & Azam Khan are power hitters, while Perera & Amir have reputation and experience on their side.
Barbados Royals Expected XI:
- Johnson Charles, 2. Shai Hope, 3. Glenn Phillips, 4. Kyle Mayers, 5. Azam Khan, 6. Jason Holder, 7. Thisara Perera, 8. Hayden Walsh Jr, 9. Jake Lintott, 10. Oshane Thomas, 11. Ashley Nurse
Guyana Amazon Warriors
- West Indies Internationals: Nicholas Pooran (WK/C), Shimron Hetmyer, Brandon King, Romario Shepherd, Kevin Sinclair, Chandrapaul Hemraj (6 ODIs), Odean Smith (2 T20I)
- West Indies Domestic: Anthony Bramble (WK), Gudakesh Motie, Ashmead Nedd, Nial Smith
- Foreign Recruits: Imran Tahir (South Africa), Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Hafeez (Pakistan), Naveen-ul-Haq (Afghanistan)
Coaching Staff: Rayon Griffith
I am looking forward to the dynamic between young & experience. While Pooran, Hetmyer, Shepher, & King have youth on their side, Hafeez, Malik, and Tahir are world class T20 match-winners.
Guyana Amazon Warriors Expected XI:
- Brandon King, 2. Chandrapaul Hemraj, 3. Mohammad Hafeez, 4. Shimron Hetmyer, 5. Nicholas Pooran, 6. Shoaib Malik, 7. Anthony Bramble, 8. Odean Smith, 9. Romario Shepherd, 10. Imran Tahir, 11. Naveen-ul-Haq/Kevin Sinclair
Saint Lucia Kings
- West Indies Internationals: Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Andre Fletcher, Alzarri Joseph, Obed McCoy, Keemo Paul, Kesrick Williams
- West Indies Domestic: Kadeem Alleyne, Keron Cottoy, Mark Deyal, Javelle Glen, Jeavor Royal
- Foreign Recruits: Faf du Plessis – C (South Africa), Tim David (Singapore), Samit Patel (England), Usman Qadir, Wahab Riaz (Pakistan)
Coaching Staff: Andy Flower
I am looking forward to the West Indies internationals. Roston Chase, Cornwall, Kesrick Williams, Paul are not in the current T20I plan for the West Indies and Joseph, McCoy, and Paul are still on the fringes. This CPL season will show who gets in and who does not to the T20 World Cup squad. Also hope that Faf du Plessis has recovered from the concussion.
Saint Lucia Kings Expected XI:
- Faf du Plessis, 2. Andre Fletcher, 3. Rahkeem Cornwall, 4. Roston Chase, 5. Tim David, 6. Samit Patel, 7. Keemo Paul, 8. Kesrick Williams, 9. Usman Qadir/Wahab Riaz, 10. Obed McCoy, 11. Alzarri Joseph
St. Kitts & Nevis Patriots
- West Indies Internationals: Dwayne Bravo (C), Fabian Allen, Sheldon Cottrell, Joshua Da Silva (WK), Rayad Emrit, Chris Gayle, Evin Lewis, Sherfane Rutherford, Devon Thomas
- West Indies Domestic: Colin Archibald, Dominic Drakes, Jon-Russ Jaggesar, Mikyle Louis
- Foreign Recruits: Asif Ali (Pakistan), Ravi Bopara (England), Fawad Ahmed (Australia), Paul van Meekeren
Coaching Staff: Simon Helmot
I am looking forward to Evin Lewis & Fabian Allen. They have been the two standout performers in the last three home T20I series. Can they continue their good form?
St. Kitts & Patriots Expected XI:
- Devon Thomas, 2. Evin Lewis, 3. Chris Gayle, 4. Sherfane Rutherford, 5. Ravi Bopara, 6. Asif Ali, 7. Joshua Da Silva, 8. Dwayne Bravo, 9. Fabian Allen, 10. Fawad Ahmed, 11. Sheldon Cottrell
- West Indies Internationals: Rovman Powell (C), Carlos Brathwaite, Andre Russell, Shamarh Brooks, Fidel Edwards, Jason Mohmammed, Veerasammy Permaul, Chadwick Walton (WK)
- West Indies Domestic: Joshua James, Kennar Lewis, Abhijai Mansingh, Kirk McKenzie, Imran Khan
- Foreign Recruits: Haider Ali (Pakistan), Ryan Persaud (USA), Migael Pretorius (South Africa), Qais Ahmad (Afghanistan)
Coaching Staff: Floyd Reifer
I am looking forward to the star-studded lower middle order—Powell, Brathwaite, and Russell. 255/5 in their opening game already shows the potential of this team.
Jamaica Tallawahs Expected XI:
- Chadwick Walton (WK), 2. Kennar Lewis, 3. Haider Ali, 4. Shamarh Brooks, 5. Rovmann Powell, 6. Andre russell, 7. Carlos Brathwaite, 8. Chris Green, 9. Veerasammy Permaul, 10. Fidel Edwards, 11. Qais Ahmed
Key Match Ups To Watch Out For
- Huge CPL season ahead for Andre Fletcher – The Spice Man came back to the West Indies T20I side on a back of a good BBL and Big Bash tournament. However, his form in the international arena dropped off. Johnson Charles & Brandon King are contenders for the reserve opener spot if Fletcher does not have a good show here.
- Warriors show glimpse of West Indies’ future – Brandon King, Pooran, Hetmyer, Romario Shepherd, Kevin Sinclair may form the core of a future West Indies team without Gayle, Pollard, or Bravo.
- Can Trinbago Knight Riders do it again? Last season TKR won 12 games on a trot to dominate CPL 2020. With a similar composition of their squad, can they make it 5 trophies?
Caribbean Premier League 2021 Predictions
Finally here are my predictions.
My prediction for the team to lift the CPL 2021 trophy is….Jamaica Tallawahs with the Top 4 of Guyana Amazon Warriors, St. Kitts & Nevis Patriots, and Trinbago Knight Riders.
- Most Runs: Evin Lewis
- Most Wickets: Obed McCoy
- Emerging Player: Rohail Nazir
- Surprise Package: Tim David/Jake Lintott
- Broken Cricket Dream: Final CPL edition for Shoaib Malik?
Here were my Caribbean Premier League – CPL 2021 Predictions. What did you think? What are YOUR predictions? Comment Below!
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 08/30/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).