Fantasy Cricket – Commentators XI
“How is the food in Dubai?” asks Kumar Sangakkara. Mahela responds, “Limited but enjoyable.”
“Oh yeah? Because it shows.” (Laughs all around). After a brief pause, Mahela responds, “Well, I thought he was a proper commentator, but obviously he is not…”
I just love this banter between these two legends and friends.
Kumar Sangakkara’s addition in IPL 2020 has been a breath of fresh air in the commentary box, although he replaced an unusually enthusiastic Kevin Pietersen earlier in the tournament.
This gave me an idea. Why not make a Fantasy Cricket team from the commentators in IPL 2020?
We have all played fantasy cricket or picked our All-Time World XI before. Today let us jump out of our comfort zones and do something slightly more creative – IPL 2020 Commentators XI.
Today’s Twist – Fantasy Cricket
Build two teams from IPL 2020 commentators such that (1) is a team made up of any commentators whatsoever, and (2 ) consists of only ex-cricket players.
Here are some additional rules:
- By IPL rules, each team can field a maximum of 4 foreign players.
- Pick from the list of commentators stated at the end of the article below.
- The team should actually be able to field with 1 keeper and 5 bowling options necessary.
What do you look for from a commentator? Serious analysis, insightful in-game interviews, or hilarious banter? I like a combination of all of them.
A little bit of analysis, a tinge of entertainment, and of course, a drop of controversy.
Well here are my teams. What about you? Comment below with your FAVORITE COMMENTATORS.Embed from Getty Images
IPL 2020 Commentators XI
Just Imagine what role these commentators would play on the cricket field. Take creative license with this. Also Note: The 4 foreign players are in bold.
- Aakash Chopra – Defensive opener, aggressive commentator. Love the phrases. #Aakashvani
- Gaurav Kapur – Complimentary youthful enthusiasm for the opening partnership. Also BWC.
- Alexis Nunes – A West Indian at No. 3 is a necessity. Best Mute Me/ PoliteEnquiries host?
- Harsha Bhogle (C) – Need solidity in the middle order. Moments like these makes Harsha special.
- Lisa Sthalekar – World Cup winning captain at #5. Brings experience and analysis to the table.
- Gautam Bhimani – Need a transition or a finishing argument? No better than Bhimani, the finisher.
- Deep Dasgupta (WK) – One of the better analysts at ESPNCricinfo and the keeper in our team.
- Ajit Agarkar – Same as above for the analysis but also a Lord’s ton and some wickets too.
- Joy Bhattacharjya – The ‘mystery spinner’ in our team. At times, calculative. If the spin does not bamboozle you, Joy Factor definitely will.
- Simon Doull – “Field your best XI on the field. Not your most expensive XI.” Cough, cough KXIP.
- Pommie Mbangwa – Always has a smile. Accurate analysis. A fast bowler in his heyday.
12th Man: Shaun Pollock. – Slowing swinging his way to the commentary box.
- Virender Sehwag – “Some CSK batsman thinks it is a government’s job”
- Sunil Gavaskar
- Kumar Sangakkara (WK)
- Kevin Pietersen – Here is a day in KP’s life at IPL 2020.
- Anjum Chopra (C)
- Tom Moody – Has some good views about Super Overs.
- Ajay Jadeja
- Irfan Pathan
- L. Sivaramakrishnan
- Ian Bishop – Remember his name? Has the best analysis in world cricket right now in my opinion.
- Murali Karthik
The full list of IPL commentators were as follows:
- India: Harsha Bhogle, Deep Dasgupta, Rohan Gavaskar, L. Sivaramakrishnan, Murali Karthik, Sunil Gavaskar, Anjum Chopra, Aakash Chopra, Irfan Pathan, Gautam Gambhir, Ashish Nehra, Nikhil Chopra, Sandeep Patil, Sanjay Bangar, Ajit Agarkar, Kiran More
- New Zealand: Simon Doull, Danny Morrison
- West Indies: Ian Bishop, Darren Ganga
- Australia: Michael Slater, Lisa Sthalekar
- Zimbabwe: Pommie Mbangwa
- England: Kevin Pietersen, Mark Nicholas
- Sri Lanka: Kumar Sangakkara
- South Africa: JP Duminy
- Cricbuzz Live Panel: Gaurav Kapur, Ajay Jadeja, Gautam Bhimani, Joy Bhattacharjya, Shaun Pollock, Michael Vaughan, Arjun Pandit, Manoj Tiwary, Virender Sehwag
- Cricinfo Panel: Raunak Kapoor, Tom Moody, Alexis Nunes, Sanjay Manjrekar
- *Star Sports Dugout: Graeme Swann, Brett Lee, Brian Lara, Scott Styris, Dean Jones
*I did not choose from this list because did not have enough sample size of listening to Star Sports commentary, but you are free to do so.
So from this list, who makes it in YOUR COMMENTATORS XI? COMMENT BELOW AND LET US KNOW! Do check out our other World XI with Twists Articles here, follow our social media pages, and share the article ahead!
Sources: ESPNCricinfo, CricbuzzLive, IPLT20.com, List of Commentators
Image Courtesy: Kevin Pietersen – Tourism Victoria from Australia, CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons