Delhi Capitals Preview IPL 2021.
The Delhi franchise has seen almost all kinds of seasons in the IPL. They have seen the height of the qualifiers & semi-finals, including a run to the final in 2020, as well as rock bottom. Everything except for an IPL victory.
Injury to Shreyas Iyer shifts the planning a little bit, but with Rahane & Steven Smith in the reserves, this should not be a problem. What do you say? Can they go one step further?
Also Read: IPL 2021 Auctions Review, DC All-Time XI
2020 (2nd), 2009, 2012, 2019 (3rd), 2008 (4th)
How Did They Do Last Year?
2nd. Brilliant start, a steep fall, and a predictable ending—Mumbai Indians edging them in the final. Several positives regardless:
- Shikhar Dhawan & Shreyas Iyer dependable with the runs at the top
- Marcus Stoinis the finisher coming to the party
- The pace duo of Anrich Nortje-Kagiso Rabada giving DC the edge
Injury & COVID-19 News
The Delhi Capitals have been dealt two big blows. The captain, Shreyas Iyer, suffered a shoulder injury during the India Vs England series. He will have his surgery during the IPL and is out of the season.
Rishabh Pant has been appointed the new captain.
In addition, Axar Patel has tested positive for COVID-19 and is in quarantine. Hopefully, he returns in time, but nothing is certain during these times.
Complete Delhi Capitals Squad
Batsman: Shikhar Dhawan, Ajinkya Rahane, Prithvi Shaw, Vishnu Vinod
WK: Rishabh Pant
All-Rounders: Ravichandran Ashwin, Lalit Yadav, Ripal Patel
Spinners: Amit Mishra, Axar Patel, Manimaran Siddharth, Praveen Dubey
Fast Medium: Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Avesh Khan, Lukman Meriwala
Overseas: Sam Billings, Tom Curran, Shimron Hetmyer, Anrich Nortje, Kagiso Rabada, Steven Smith, Marcus Stoinis, Chris Woakes
Withdrawn: Shreyas Iyer
Predicted DC XI
Due to Patel’s & Iyer’s absence, the balance of the side may change. For the start, I will drop Rabada based on current form and bolster the batting with someone like Steve Smith in the middle order.
- Shikhar Dhawan, 2. Prithvi Shaw, 3. Shimron Hetmyer, 4, Steve Smith/ Sam Billings, 5. Rishabh Pant (C/WK), 6. Marcus Stoinis, 7. Ravichandran Ashwin, 8. Amit Mishra, 9. Anrich Nortje, 10. Ishant Sharma, 11. Umesh Yadav
*Axar Patel will slot at #7 if he can return to the squad
Watch Out For
- Ravichandran Ashwin – Looks like Ravi Ashwin is having a second wind to his career. A viral YouTube channel, great IPL 2020, followed by a memorable tour of Australia both with the ball and the bat. To cap it off, a century & 9-for in his home ground at Chennai in the England Test series.
- With the young Rishabh Pant as captain, the leadership group of Ashwin-Dhawan-Smith-Ishant-Mishra will be quite handy. Pant has been consistently destructive in the Indian colors recently, but can he transfer this form to the IPL?
Where Can Things Go Wrong For the Capitals?
Venues & Fixtures
Kolkata – 5, Ahmedabad – 4, Mumbai – 3, Chennai – 2
- 10 April: CSK vs DC (Mumbai)
- 15 April: RR vs DC (Mumbai)
- 18 April: DC vs PBKS (Mumbai)
- 20 April: DC vs MI (Chennai)
- 25 April: SRH vs DC (Chennai)
- 27 April: DC vs RCB (Ahmedabad)
- 29 April: DC vs KKR (Ahmedabad)
- 2 May: PBKS vs DC (Ahmedabad)
- 8 May: KKR vs DC (Ahmedabad)
- 11 May: DC vs RR (Kolkata)
- 14 May: RCB vs DC (Kolkata)
- 17 May: DC vs SRH (Kolkata)
- 21 May: DC vs CSK (Kolkata)
- 23 May: MI vs DC (Kolkata)
- 25 May: Qualifier 1 (Ahmedabad)
- 26 May: Eliminator (Ahmedabad)
- 28 May: Qualifier 2 (Ahmedabad)
- 30 May: Final (Ahmedabad)
The IPL 2020 season displayed what DC are capable of. When they are on a roll, they are the team to watch, but when they get on a losing streak, things go south very soon.
Without Iyer, collapses are something DC need to guard against. My prediction? Always in the race for the qualifiers, but lose out to net run-rate.
|Most Runs||Rishabh Pant|
|Most Wickets||Ravinchandran Ashwin|
|Emerging Player||Will Lukman Meriwala, the SMAT star, get a game?|
|Surprise Package||Amit Mishra|
|X Factor||Anrich Nortje|
|Broken Cricket Dream||Injury to Shreyas Iyer|
*SMAT – Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
What do you think of the Delhi Capitals Preview? Your First XI? Will they make the IPL 2021 qualifiers?
If you like this content, please subscribe below for FREE and follow us on our social media accounts.
Follow us here if you are on Medium or Bloglovin‘.
Copyright (2021: 4/3/2021)– @Nitesh Mathur, aka Nit-X – email@example.com
Are you sure Prithvi Shaw qualifies as an uncapped player for DC? (Unsure) He did represent India in Test matches! Plus, if it were for me, I’d slot in Jinks at #3 and Rabada to be open the attack. (Not considering current form of the players but purely on phenomenal IPL returns in previous editions)
Love Jinks! He would be great at 3 but doubt management will go with both Dhawan & Rahane. That is true – Rabada might be all time great IPL player at the end of his career. Thanks for checking out the content!
Despite the absence of Iyer I can still see DC making the playoffs as much as of the squad from last season remains