Mumbai Indians Preview IPL 2021.
Let us make this quick. MI lift the trophy again. End of Preview.
Just kidding! But seriously, how good are they? Do not see too many changes, but a hattrick of IPL trophies is still a tough ask.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments below!
2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 (Champions), 2011 (3rd), 2012, 2014 (4th)
How Did They Do Last Year?
1st. The same old story. Champions for a 5th time. Another wonderful campaign. Here are some of the highlights.
- Suryakumar Yadav & Ishan Kishan storm into national spotlight after consistent performances. Add Quinton de Kock’s blazing starts & a certain Rohit Sharma and that was an enviable top order.
- The better the finishers, the more consistent a T20 side. Finishing prowess of Kieron Pollard & Hardik Pandya justifies this claim.
- James Pattinson, Jasprit Bumrah, & Trent Boult provided the firepower that the fast bowling bowling needed in sluggish UAE pitches.
Injury & COVID-19 News
No major injury or COVID-19 news for the Mumbai Indians as of yet, but cases in Mumbai are rising rapidly. The Road Safety Series in Mumbai has several former cricketers in quarantine. Fingers crossed, but keep checking your news if any local Mumbai players join the MI squad.
Complete Mumbai Indians Squad
Batsman: Rohit Sharma*, Saurabh Tiwary, Suryakumar Yadav, Anmolpreet Singh
WK: Ishan Kishan, Aditya Tare
All-Rounders: Hardik Pandya, Krunal Pandya, Anukul Roy, Arjun Tendulkar, Mohsin Khan
Fast Medium: Jasprit Bumrah, Dhawal Kulkarni, Yudhvir Singh
Spinners: Rahul Chahar, Piyush Chawla, Jayant Yadav
Overseas: Trent Boult, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Quinton de Kock (WK), Marco Jansen, James Neesham, Kieron Pollard, Adam Milne, Chris Lynn
Predicted MI XI
Rohit Sharma (C), 2. Quinton de Kock (WK), 3. Ishan Kishan (WK), 4. Suryakumar Yadav, 5. Kieron Pollard, 6. Krunal Pandya, 7. Hardik Pandya, 8. Rahul Chahar, 9. Trent Boult,10. Jasprit Bumrah, 11. Adam Milne/ Nathan Coulter-Nile
How can an already dangerous line-up become even more dangerous? Instead of adding another foreign pace bowler, maybe Jimmy Neesham can slot in at #8. The Pollard-Pandyas-Neesham finishing line up can be quite something.
Watch Out For
- Adam Milne, the New Zealand speedstar of 2015 World Cup fame, went missing for a couple of years due to injuries. He has slowly made a comeback in the New Zealand squad through the Big Bash, but can he light up the IPL?
- With 11 games in Chennai-Delhi-Kolkata combined, spin will be very handy. Expect Rahul Chahar to be among the wickets. Since Krunal Pandya is more of a batting-allrounder, we may see a bit of Piyush Chawla and Jayant Yadav. Before the final that is.
Where Can Things Go Wrong For the Indians?
Mumbai play first 5 matches at Chennai. While familiarity can be a good thing, let us look at the opposition—strong RCB & Punjab sides and games against spin giants SRH (Rashid, Mujeeb, Nabi), DC (Ashwin, Axar, Amit Mishra), & KKR (Shakib, Varun, Harbhajan, Kuldeep, Pawan Negi).
I am betting against Mumbai Indians for their ‘home’ venues.
Venues & Fixtures
Chennai- 5, Delhi- 4, Bangalore- 3, Kolkata- 2
- 9 April: MI vs RCB (Chennai)
- 13 April: KKR vs MI (Chennai)
- 17 April: MI vs SRH (Chennai)
- 20 April: DC vs MI (Chennai)
- 23 April: PBKS vs MI (Chennai)
- 29 April: MI vs RR (Delhi)
- 1 May: MI vs CSK (Delhi)
- 4 May: SRH vs MI (Delhi)
- 8 May: RR vs MI (Delhi)
- 10 May: MI vs KKR (Bangalore)
- 13 May: MI vs PBKS (Bangalore)
- 16 May: CSK vs MI (Bangalore)
- 20 May: RCB vs MI (Kolkata)
- 23 May: MI vs DC (Kolkata)
- 25 May: Qualifier 1 (Ahmedabad)
- 26 May: Eliminator (Ahmedabad)
- 28 May: Qualifier 2 (Ahmedabad)
- 30 May: Final (Ahmedabad)
Mumbai Indians always seem to bounce back after rough campaign starts. Given the schedule in IPL 2021, I think if they lose 3 or more of the first five, I do not think they can bounce back.
For a change, I am going for a different IPL winner this time around. They will probably win again, but for the fun of it, I have them winning from the reverse order this time.
|Most Runs||Suryakumar Yadav|
|Most Wickets||Rahul Chahar|
|Emerging Player||Marco Jansen|
|Surprise Package||Jimmy Neesham|
|X Factor||Kieron Pollard, the leader|
|Broken Cricket Dream||Third Time…Is Not the Charm. May not win this time|
Also, Chris Lynn. Someone of his calibre might have to warm the benches two seasons in a row.
What do you think of the Mumbai Indians Preview? Your First XI? Will they make the IPL 2021 qualifiers?
If you like this content, please subscribe below for FREE and follow us on our social media accounts.
Copyright (2021: 4/3/2021)– @Nitesh Mathur, aka Nit-X – email@example.com