Currently, there are at least 34 cricket stadiums in USA (including grounds, parks, etc.), two of which have been certified by the International Cricket Council (ICC) and 24 local cricket grounds are being used by Minor League Cricket teams. Additionally, five more upcoming stadiums are currently being planned.
These stadiums are located all across the US, from California to Florida, North Carolina to Texas, and Georgia to name a few. Their sizes range from large-scale venues with plenty of seating space to small grassy fields that are more intimate in size.
In the United States, cricket has gained more popularity in recent years, leading to the development of cricket stadiums in various parts of the country. This article will discuss how many cricket stadiums are in the United States, which ones they are, and what kind of events they host. Read on to discover more about cricket stadiums in America!Embed from Getty Images
1. List of Cricket Stadiums in the United States
At present, there are at least two international-level cricket stadiums in the United States, with plans to expand the number up to five to ten in the near future.
- Central Broward Regional Park Stadium Turf Ground in Lauderhill, Florida (10000 seating capacity, ICC status for ODI & T20 cricket)
- Church Street Park in Morrisville, North Carolina (3500 permanent seating with potential expansion to 5000 seats)
- AirHogs Stadium in Grand Prairie, Texas (7000 seating capacity with a potential expansion to 20000 seats)
- Smart Choice Moosa Stadium in Pearland, Texas (near Houston)
- Indianapolis World Sports Park in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Leo Magnus Cricket Complex, ‘Woodley’ Park in Los Angeles, California
Each of these stadiums has its own unique history and features that make it an exciting place to watch cricket. Most of them host domestic and international matches, as well as tournaments and development programs for the sport itself.
Upcoming Cricket Stadiums in the USA
Apart from existing cricket stadiums, there are also four upcoming venues in plan — each with varying seating capacities and location.
- Marymoor Park in Redmond, Washington
- Santa Clara County Fairgrounds in San Jose, California
- An upcoming proposed stadium in Orange County, California
- New York Oval. in New York
- Marine Park in Brooklyn, Spring Creek Park in Queens, or Aqueduct Racetrack in Queens (Shortlisted locations for a possible major cricket stadium in the New York area)
It is expected that the stadiums in the Bay Area and Washington may each seat around 10,000-20,000 spectators with a cost of $30 million combined.Embed from Getty Images
Historic & Smaller Cricket Grounds in the United States
Apart from the major stadiums, there are also numerous smaller cricket grounds in the United States. These grounds have been used by Minor League clubs and other clubs for generations as well as hosting various tournaments over time.
- Philadelphia Cricket Club Ground in Wissahickon Heights, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Belmont Cricket Club Ground in Elmwood, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Young America Cricket Club Ground in Stenton, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Germantown Cricket Club Ground in Manheim, Pennsylvania (earlier in Nicetown)
- Merion Cricket Club Ground in Haverford, Pennsylvania
- Boca Raton Cricket Club Ground in Boca Raton, Florida
- Brian Piccolo Park in Cooper City, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- St. George’s Club Ground in Bloomingdale Road, Manhattan, New York
- Red House Cricket Ground in Harlem, New York
- *Citi Field in New York
- *Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas
- *Dodger Stadium in Van Nuys, Los Angeles, California
*Note, the Cricket All-Stars tournament featuring Shane Warne, Sachin Tendulkar, Shoaib Akthar, etc. took place at famous baseball grounds—Citi Field, Minute Maid Park, and Dodger Stadium.Embed from Getty Images
Home Grounds of Minor League Cricket Teams
Minor League Cricket is a new franchised cricket league in the United States, which was founded in 2019. It currently has 26 teams, most of which have their own home cricket parks.
- Atlanta Cricket Fields in Cumming, Georgia (Atlanta Fire)
- Param Veers Cricket Field in Rydal, Georgia (Atlanta Lightning)
- Silverstar Recreation Center in Orlando, Florida (Orlando Galaxy)
- Veterans Memorial Park in Woodbridge, Virginia (DC Hawks)
- Idlewild Park in Rosedale, New York (Empire State Titans)
- Canarsie Park in Brooklyn, New York (Manhattan Yorkers)
- Keney Park in Hartford, Connecticut (New England Eagles)
- Howe Athletic Complex in Somerset, New Jersey (New Jersey Somerset Cavaliers, New Jersey Stallions)
- Exton Park in Exton, Pennsylvania (The Philadelphians)
- BPL Cricket Stadium in Bolingbrook, Illinois (Chicago Blasters)
- Washington Park/Skokie Sports Complex in Chicago, Illinois (Chicago Tigers)
- McKinney Cricket Ground in McKinney, Texas (Dallas Mustangs)
- Prairie View Cricket Complex in Houston, Texas, which will be the first Major League Cricket National Cricket Center ((Houston Hurricanes))
- Lyon Oaks Cricket Ground in Wixom, Michigan (Michigan Cricket Stars)
- ACAC Park in Wentzville, Missouri (St. Louis Americans)
- Santa Clara Cricket Club in Santa Clara, California (East Bay Blazers)
- Arroyo Park in Davis, California (Golden State Grizzlies)
- Canyon Side Park in San Diego, California (San Diego Surf Riders)
- Klahanie Park in Issaquah, Washington (Seattle Thunderbolts)
- Morgan Hill Outdoor Sports Complex in Morgan Hill, California (Silicon Valley, Strikers)
- USA Cricket—The Complete Guide to Cricket in America (Updated 2023)
- Major League Cricket Schedule, Fixtures, Venues: Where to Buy Major League Cricket (MLC) 2023 Tickets?
- 11 Overseas Cricketers in Major League Cricket (MLC) in USA: Aaron Finch, Quinton de Kock…Can You Guess the Rest?
- 56 American Cricketers Who Left Their Countries and Moved to Play Cricket in the USA: List of USA Cricketers Who Were Born in Other Nations
- Avinash’s Cricket Journey in America: an Interview
- Most Beautiful Cricket Stadium in Each of the 12 Countries – Lord’s, Newlands, MCG, Galle,…Which Is Your Favorite?
2. Facts About the Major Cricket Stadiums in USA
- Established in 2007, the Central Broward Regional Park Stadium in Lauderhill is the biggest cricket stadium in the United States. It has two pitches and offers seating for up to 10,000 fans. Every Spring it hosts the American college cricket tournament and is also home to the Ft. Lauderdale Lions of Minor League Cricket.
- The Moosa Stadium in Pearland, Texas was established in 2015 and is a rising cricket stadium. It provides seating for up to 2,500 fans with the potential for further expansion. It is the home of Lone Star Athletics.
- The AirHogs Stadium in Grand Prairie, Texas is a professional baseball stadium that has been transformed into a cricket ground. It offers seating for up to 7,000 spectators and has the potential for further expansions. This ground has become quite popular with local cricket enthusiasts.
- Church Street Park has already hosted some matches in the 2018 ICC Americas T20 Qualifier.
- The Indianapolis World Sports Park was built with an investment of $5 million and it hosted the 2015 ICC T20 World Cup Americas Division One qualification tournament.
- The Leo Magnus Woodley Park is a sporting complex established in 1978 and named after Jamaican cricketer, Leo Magnus. It comprises five cricket fields (Marder, Severn, Wong, Woodley and Wright) and is home to the Hollywood Master Blasters and Socal Lashings of Minor League Cricket. Historically, it was the home of the Hollywood Cricket Club.
- Founded in 1854, Philadelphia Cricket Club Ground is the oldest cricket club in the USA, while Germantown Cricket Club is the second oldest surviving cricket club in the United States. The Belmont Cricket Club (1874-1914), home to one of America’s greatest cricketers, Bart King, was one of the great clubs in American cricket.
3. Types of Events Hosted at US Cricket Stadiums
The stadiums listed above host a variety of events for both spectators and players.
These include domestic and international matches, tournaments, camps and academies to help with cricket development in the US. The following is a list of some of the events hosted at US cricket stadiums:
International Matches & CPL
New Zeland, Sri Lanka, India, West Indies, Bangladesh, Ireland, Papua New Guinea, Scotland, Nepal, Oman, Namibia, and the USA have all played here. Ft. Lauderhill has been used as one of West Indies’ home venue in bilateral series.
The Caribbean Premier League (CPL) has also hosted several matches in the Broward Stadium.
Minor League Cricket
Minor League Cricket began in 2020 as the precursor to Major League Cricket, USA’s much anticipated T20 franchise competition. 27 teams took place in the inaugural tournament with Silicon Valley Strikers emerging as the winner.
National Championships and Other tournaments
These tournaments are organized by US cricket associations and involve women’s, men’s, U-19, and other teams from different states across the country.
Apart from major leagues, regional club tournaments, tape ball cricket, and college cricket also occur on a regular basis.
4. Major League Cricket and 2024 T20 World Cup to Take Place Across USA’s Top Cricket Stadiums
In 2023, Major League Cricket (MLC) is set to take place between July 13th and 30th.
The Grand Prairie Stadium in Dallas is the main location with franchises from Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New York City, and Washington D.C. The following year in 2024, the 20-team T20 World Cup will be jointly hosted by the United States and West Indies.
Despite uncertainty regarding a six-team Olympic T20 tournament, investment in U.S.A. Cricket is showing continual growth.
5. Conclusion – The Growing Popularity of Cricket in America
Cricket is quickly gaining popularity in the United States, with more people becoming aware of and involved in the game.
The US Cricket Association has advocated for the expansion of cricket in America, resulting in cricket stadiums located across the country, academies and clubs to help players hone their skills.
Stadiums such as Church Street Park & Moosa Stadium are paving the way for even more growth. The upcoming 2024 T20 World Cup and Major League Cricket will bring even more attention to the sport, and with continued growth, cricket will become an increasingly popular sport in America.
Maybe the future even holds a partnership with Minor League Baseball stadiums similar to the conversion of the Texas Airhogs stadium.
5. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – Cricket Stadiums in USA
Currently, there are at least 33 cricket stadiums in the USA. Two stadiums are ICC certified, 5 are in the planning phase, while the rest are park and local grounds.
The Airhogs stadium in Dallas, Texas will be the host of the inaugural Major League Cricket held between July 13-30.
26 teams compete in Minor League Cricket (MiLC) in the United States.
Six franchises from from Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New York City, and Washington D.C. will compete in the 2023 Major League Cricket (MLC).
Sources: Central Broward Regional Park Stadium Turf Ground, Moosa Cricket Stadium, World Sports Park: A diamond in the rough, About Us – Germantown Cricket Club – Philadelphia, PA, Philadelphia Cricket Club History. USA T20 franchise league MLC projected to spend 110 million on facilities ahead of 2023 launch, Atlanta Paramveers open five cricket fields to promote game, Major League Cricket 2022: Match Schedules, Scores, News & More, Major League Cricket set for July 2023 launch in Dallas
Image Courtesy: RTMGterra, CC BY-SA 4.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0, via Wikimedia Commons
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, LLC, 2023. Originally published on 01/21/2023. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).