RR Vs DC – IPL 2021 Match #7 Quick Review! The day of redemptions for Unadkat, Morris, Miller, & Mustafizur. Another last over game.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Toss: won the toss and chose to first.
Venue: Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai
Umpires: Sundaram Ravi & Virender Sharma
What Actually Happened
- Winner: Rajasthan Royals won by 2 wickets
- Scores: RR 147/8 – PBKS 150/7
- Player of the Match: Jaydev Unadkat
- Best Figures
- Jaydev Unadkat – 3/15
- Avesh Khan – 3/22
- Most Runs
- Rishabh Pant – 51 (32)
- David Miller – 62 (43)
Moments of The Day: Unadkat, Miller, & Morris Come Back In Style
The IPL is full of surprises and memorable moments. Here are my moments of today:
- Rajasthan Royals have had two major purchases in the last few years—Jaydev Unadkat & Chris Morris. While Chris Morris has not had a major IPL season since the 2015 season with Delhi (Daredevils), Unadkat has been bitterly disappointing at RR. Today Unadkat ended up with 4-0-15-3, devouring the entire DC top order. Morris, who had been denied a run by Samson in the first game, came back with 36 (18) with 4 sixes.
- The Fizz (Mustafizur Rahman) was the big positive for today. Post-injuries, his impact had dramatically reduced from the heights of his dream debut year. He was finally hitting speeds of 135 kph+ and putting revolutions on the ball. The dismissals of Stoinis & Curran were especially satisfying. With Unadkat-Fizz occupying the ‘specialist off-cutter’ position, & Sakariya/Morris for support, this is turning out pretty nicely for RR.
- The fielding is finally doing justice to the standard of the IPL. After a horrendous few days, RCB-SRH brought things back on track. Today, it got even better—Samson’s flying screamer, Parag’s run out of Pant, Tewatia’s running back catch, Miller’s run out of Ashwin, & Dhawan’s 3 catches (6 in total this IPL).
Honorable Mentions: Lalit Yadav impresses; Rishabh Pant almost bails out DC with a 50; Avesh Khan’s 3 wickets
T20 World Cup Spotlight: South Africa, the Dark Horse?
Given that the T20I World Cup is around the corner, and pandemic induced rules has changed the rules to 23-player squad, we will be analyzing the impact of each match on the various T20I World Cup squads.
- There was a point today where Miller & Morris partnership were facing Kagiso Rabada. Miller’s career can be divided into three phases:
- Killer Miller (Pre-2016)
- Where Is Miller? (2016-2020)
- Accumulator Miller (Post-2020)
- Frankly, if this third phase is anywhere close to ‘Killer Miller’ phase, South Africa might just have a chance for the T20I World Cup. With AB De Villiers’ return possible, the young SA squad impressing against Pakistan (Janneman Malan, Aiden Markram, Russie Van der Dussen, Klassen, Linde, Shamsi), & the IPL experience of Faf-ABD, QDK, Miller, Morris, Rabada-Nortje-Ngidi, count this Protea team out at your own peril.
- The Chris Woakes & Tom Curran Conundrum – Woakes ended up with 15* & 4-0-22-2 today & 2/18 in the first game, while Curran had figures of 21 & 3.4-0-35-0 & 1/40 in the last game. Curran has played 28 T20I for England, while Woakes only has 8, last of which came in 2015. Time for a straight switch.
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: Delhi’s Team Selection
- Although the Capitals made a game out of a 148 score, their tactics should still be questioned. Why was Amit Mishra dropped? What is Rahane’s role in the team? Smith-Hetmyer? Frankly, DC’s depth is so good, but I am just afraid the constant changing & chopping will not help in the stability.
- RR already dealing with Jofra Archer’s injury have been dealt with Ben Stokes being ruled out of the tournament. Hopefully he recovers well, but maybe blessing in disguise given David Miller & Liam Livingstone’s form.
IPL 2021 Points Table
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table. We will keep updating it in every article!
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. Royal Challengers Bangalore||2||2||0||0||4||+0.175|
|2. Mumbai Indians||2||1||1||0||2||+0.225|
|3. Punjab Kings||1||1||0||0||2||+0.2|
|4. Delhi Capitals||2||1||1||0||2||+0.195|
|5. Rajasthan Royals||2||1||1||0||2||+0.052|
|6. Kolkata Knight Riders||2||1||1||0||0||0.00|
|7. Sunrisers Hyderabad||2||0||2||0||0||-0.4|
|8.. Chennai Super Kings||1||0||1||0||0||-0.779|
The PBKS take on the CSK in Mumbai. Who do you think will win this one?
Also, if you have not yet read our IPL Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- Chennai Super Kings – CSK Preview
- Delhi Capitals – DC Preview
- Kolkata Knight Riders – KKR Preview
- Mumbai Indians – MI Preview
- Punjab Kings – PBKS Preview
- Rajasthan Royals – RR Preview
- Royal Challengers Bangalore – RCB Preview
- Sunrisers Hyderabad – SRH Preview
Copyright (2021: 4/12/2021)– @Nitesh Mathur, aka Nit-X – email@example.com