Papua New Guinea Vs Oman Quick Review – home team Oman crush the spirits of new cricket World Cup entrants Papua New Guinea.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Scorecard: Papua New Guinea vs Oman Video Highlights
Toss: Oman won the toss and chose to field first.
Venue: Al Amerat Cricket Ground, Muscat
Umpires: Chris Gaffaney & Kumar Dharmasena
What Actually Happened
- Winner: Oman won by 9 wickets.
- Scores: PNG 129/9– Oman 131/0
- Player of the Match: Zeeshan Maqsood
- Best Figures
- Zeeshan Maqsood – 4/20
- Most Runs
- Assad Vala – 56 (43)
- Jatinder Singh – 73*(42)
Moments of The Day: Amini-Vala’s Fluency, Maqsood’s Over, and the Ilyas-Jatinder Show
- Bilal Khan, Kaleemullah set the tone for Oman. PNG never really recovered from the maiden wicket over & the 1-run wicket over. Tony Ura & Lega Siaka were both bowled for ducks.
- Assad Vala & Charles Amini turn it on for PNG. Left-arm batters are a joy to watch. Put two of them together, and it is even better. Captain Vala and Amini regularly danced down the track and hit lofted shots to muster a 81 (60) partnership.
- Then a W, 1, W, 0, W, 0 over by opposing captain Maqsood caused a collapse from which PNG never recovered.
- Honorable Mention: 131-run partnership from Aqib Ilyas (50*) and Jatinder Singh (73*) as Oman coasted to victory; Jatinder Singh does the Shibhar Dhawan ‘Gabbar; celebration after a catch.
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: The Run Out
- PNG had recovered from 0/2 and were coasting at 81/2. Then came the hara-kiri moment—ran from the non-striker’s end a, Nadeem picked the ball, and direct hit. Amini was looking so good…as
Tweets of the Day
Despite not having the best days on the field, it was a huge moment for Papua New Guinea nevertheless. Here are some tweets and threads that made this day special for the players and the fans in the backdrop of the beautiful mountains behind Oman’s stadium.
T20 World Cup Points Table, Stat Alert
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table, Highest Run Scorer, Highest Wicket Taker, Most Catches, and Most Dismissals. We will keep updating it in every article!
- Jatinder Singh – 73* runs (Oman, 1 Match)
- Zeeshan Mahmood – 4 wickets (Oman, 1 Match)
- Jatinder Singh (Oman), George Munsey (Scotland) – 2 catches
Group B Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. Oman||1||1||0||0||2||+ 3.135|
|2. Papua New Guinea||1||0||1||0||0||– 3.135|
Also, if you have not yet read our T20 World Cup Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- A Review – Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka
- B Review – Group B 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Scotland
- 1 Review – Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies
- 2 Review – Group 2 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, New Zealand
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 10/17/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).
Image Courtesy: Graphic (original work), Oman Vs PNG via Cricinfo/ICC via Getty