West Indies Vs England Quick Review – An underwhelming short contest that was built up as the rewind of the 2016 World T20 finals.
West Indies decimated by England. In other words, they self-exploded.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Toss: England won the toss and chose to field first.
Venue: Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai, UAE
Umpires: Aleem Dar & Marais Erasmus
What Actually Happened
- Winner: England won by 6 wickets
- Scores: West Indies 55/10 – England 56/4
- Player of the Match: Moeen Ali 2/17
- Best Figures
- Adil Rashid (2.2-0-2-4)
- Akeal Hosein (4-0-24-2)
- Most Runs
- Chris Gayle – 13 (13)
- Jos Buttler – 24 (22)
Moments of The Day: England All the Way
- Moeen Ali reaps rewards – Moeen has had an interesting 2 years since COVID. Travelled for 2 years with the squad, did not get much game time. Got exactly one match in the Indian Test series, where he performed well before he was sent home due to miscommunication. A brilliant IPL with CSK at #3, where his role in England T20s was undefined. Finally a Test retirement after the India-England home series. In this game, he opened the bowling, bowled 4 overs in a row, bagged two wickets (including a maiden), batted at #4, and a difficult running catch. Perfect day out for Moeen.
- Tymal Mills comes back to the international side after 4-5 years and makes an immediate impression with 4-0-17-2. What a story since his Hundred performances.
- Akeal Hosein‘s bowling and marvelous catch captures West Indies’ disciplined fielding effort. Although they got out for a low total, it was good to see that they did not give up. Attacking field settings by Pollard as well.
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: West Indies’ Worst Batting Effort
- West Indies’ 55 all-out was the third lowest in all T20 World Cups, their 2nd lowest overall, their first loss to England in 6 attempts at T20 World Cups, and their biggest defeat in T20Is.
T20 World Cup Points Table, Stat Alert
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table, Highest Run Scorer, Highest Wicket Taker, Most Catches, and Most Dismissals. We will keep updating it in every article!
- Mohommad Naim – 126 runs (Bangladesh, 3 Matches)
- Shakib Al Hasan – 11 wickets (Bangladesh, 4 Matches)
- Calum MacLeod, Jatinder Singh (Scotland/Oman, 3 Matches) – 5 catches
- Nurul Hasan (Bangladesh) – 5 dismissals
Group 1 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. England||1||1||0||0||2||+ 3.970|
|2. Sri Lanka||1||1||0||0||2||+ 0.583|
|3. Australia||1||1||0||0||2||+ 0.253|
|4. South Africa||1||0||1||0||0||– 0.253|
|5. Bangladesh||1||0||1||0||0||– 0.583|
|6. West Indies||1||0||1||0||0||– 3.970|
Also, if you have not yet read our T20 World Cup Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- A Review – Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka
- B Review – Group B 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Scotland
- 1 Review – Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies
- 2 Review – Group 2 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, New Zealand
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 10/26/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).
Image Courtesy: Graphic (original work), Kyle Coetzer – Photo by Francois Nel-ICC/ICC via Getty Images, Mahmudullah – Photo by Mike Hewitt-ICC/ICC via Getty Images