Afghanistan Vs Scotland Quick Review — Openers, Gurbaz, Najibullah set up huge total after which the Mujeeb-Rashid show close things off.
Afghanistan won by a mammoth 130 runs. For comparison, West Indies have been bundled out for 55 and Australia & South Africa reached 120 the other day.
Reality check for Scotland.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Toss: Afghanistan won the toss and chose to bat first.
Venue: Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Sharjah, UAE
Umpires: Kumar Dharmasena & Paul Wilson
What Actually Happened
- Winner: Afghanistan won by 130 runs
- Scores: Afghanistan 190/4 – Scotland 60/10
- Player of the Match: Mujeeb Ur Rahman 5/20
- Best Figures
- Safyaan Sharif (4-0-33-2), Mark Watt (4-0-23-1)
- Mujeeb Ur Rahman (4-0-20-5), Rashid Khan (2.2.-0-9-4)
- Most Runs
- Najibullah Zadran 59 (34), Rahmanullah Gurbaz 46 (37), Hazratullah Zazai 44 (30), Mohammad Shahzad 22 (15)
- George Munsey 25 (18)
Moments of The Day: All Round Afghan Performance Should Send Warning Across Group 2
- Mohammad Shahzad-Hazratullah Zazai form an interesting partnership. When they fail, the dismissals might look silly and they may go quickly. However, when it is their day, they can be totally destructive. Today was their day. A 54 (35) partnership set the tone and Afghanistan never looked back. Add a wonderful catch by Shahzad as well.
- The momentum seemed to initially slow down with Rahmanullah Gurbaz & Najibullah Zadran, but they accelerated at even a higher pace. An 87 (52) and a couple of fours from Nabi at the end ensured Afghanistan score 190 in Sharjah.
- Now for the man of the moment — Mujeeb Ur Rahman. For the first three overs, it looked like George Munsey was up for the challenge, reverse sweeping Nabi for a couple of hits. In comes Mujeeb — a couple of marginal LBW shouts, and 3 wickets in an over later — Scotland collapsed.
- Before even the great Rashid Khan bowled his first ball, the game was done and dusted at 5/36. Then came Rashid Khan and with 4 wickets in 14 balls, finished things off quickly. Scotland bundled for 60. Afghanistan’s NRR up to + 6.500. Among the 9 wickets by spin, 4 bowleds & 5 LBWs. WOW!
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: Scotland’s Middle Order Collapses As Streak Ends
Scotland were on a high after winning 3 out of 3 in the early stages, including defeating Test nation Bangladesh. Scotland had suffered years of heartbreak and no wins at a WC stage. Reaching second stage and automatically qualifying for the 2022 T20 World Cup is already a victory for them. Improvement in their progress was based on the names in the top/middle order.
Today apart from Munsey’s 25 (17) & Kyle Coetzer’s 10 (7), the scorecard read:
- Calum MacLeod 0 (1)
- Richie Berrington 0 (3)
- Matthew Cross 0 (1)
- Michael Leask 0 (5)
- Brad Wheal 0 (1)
T20 World Cup Points Table, Stat Alert
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table, Highest Run Scorer, Highest Wicket Taker, Most Catches, and Most Dismissals. We will keep updating it in every article!
- Musfiqur Rahim – 135 runs (Bangladesh, 5 Matches)
- Shakib Al Hasan – 11 wickets (Bangladesh, 4 Matches)
- Calum MacLeod – 6 catches (Scotland, 5 Matches)
- Nurul Hasan, Matthew Cross (Bangladesh/Scotland) – 5 dismissals
Group 1 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. England||2||2||0||0||4||+ 3.614|
|2. Sri Lanka||1||1||0||0||2||+ 0.583|
|3. Australia||1||1||0||0||2||+ 0.253|
|4. South Africa||2||1||1||0||2||+ 0.179|
|5. Bangladesh||2||0||2||0||0||– 1.655|
|6. West Indies||2||0||2||0||0||– 2.550|
Group 2 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. Pakistan||2||2||0||0||4||+ 0.738|
|2. Afghanistan||1||1||0||0||2||+ 6.500|
|3. Namibia||1||0||1||0||2||+ 0.550|
|4. New Zealand||1||0||1||0||0||– 0.532|
|5. India||1||0||1||0||0||– 0.973|
|6. Scotland||2||0||0||0||2||– 3.562|
Also, if you have not yet read our T20 World Cup Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- A Review – Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka
- B Review – Group B 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Scotland
- 1 Review – Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies
- 2 Review – Group 2 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, New Zealand
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 10/28/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).
Image Courtesy: Graphic (original work), Kyle Coetzer – Photo by Francois Nel-ICC/ICC via Getty Images, Mahmudullah – Photo by Mike Hewitt-ICC/ICC via Getty Images