Australia Vs Sri Lanka Quick Review – Rising Sri Lanka come up against Zampa & Starc as Finch-Warner regain form.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Toss: Australia won the toss and chose to field first.
Venue: Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai, UAE
Umpires: Aleem Dar & Richard Illingworth
What Actually Happened
- Winner: Australia won by 7 wickets
- Scores: Sri Lanka 154/6 – Australia 155/3
- Player of the Match: Adam Zampa 2/12
- Best Figures
- Adam Zampa (4-0-12-2)
- Wanindu Hasaranga (4-0-22-2)
- Most Runs
- Charith Asaslanka 35 (27), Kusal Perera 35 (25)
- David Warner 65 (42)
Moments of The Day: Australia Has Woken Up
- When Kusal Perera & Charith Asalanaka were batting, Sri Lanka could do no wrong. The pulls and straight sixes were a delight to watch. Sri Lanka’s promise was coming back.SL 78/1 in 9.3 overs.
- Then came the duo of Mitchell Starc and Adam Zampa. Within three overs, Sri Lanka collapsed to 94/5, including a beautiful yorker by Starc to Perera. Another good innings by Rajapaksa (33*) and support from captain Dasun Shanaka got SL to a decent 154/6.
- However this was no challenge for Australia as the old horse returned. 70 run opening partnership (Finch 37) and Warner’s 65 silenced the critics. Also, who said Steve Smith cannot bat in T20s? He has been crucial in these low scoring chases recently.
Warner, Finch, Smith, Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Zampa all found form. Australia are smelling a World Cup semi-final spot. Beware of this team.
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: Sri Lanka Finally Lose
- Sri Lanka’s journey in this World Cup has been pitch perfect. For the first hour, it seemed that the new style of their cricket would take them to a fifth victory. That was not to be, and now couple of crucial games follow due to this loss.
The Broken Dream of the Day – Kusal Perera’s dropped catch – Has to rank among the worst dropped catches of all time and let Warner back into the game.
T20 World Cup Points Table, Stat Alert
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table, Highest Run Scorer, Highest Wicket Taker, Most Catches, and Most Dismissals. We will keep updating it in every article!
- Mahmudullah – 150 runs (Bangladesh, 6 Matches)
- Shakib Al Hasan – 11 wickets (Bangladesh, 4 Matches)
- Calum MacLeod – 6 catches (Scotland, 5 Matches)
- Nurul Hasan, Matthew Cross (Bangladesh/Scotland) – 5 dismissals
Group 1 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. England||2||2||0||0||4||+ 3.614|
|2. Australia||2||2||0||0||4||+ 0.727|
|3. South Africa||2||1||1||0||2||+ 0.179|
|4. Sri Lanka||2||1||1||0||2||– 0.416|
|5. West Indies||3||1||2||0||2||– 1.598|
|6. Bangladesh||3||0||3||0||0||– 1.069|
Group 2 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. Pakistan||3||3||0||0||6||+ 0.638|
|2. Afghanistan||2||1||1||0||2||+ 3.092|
|3. Namibia||1||0||1||0||2||+ 0.550|
|4. New Zealand||1||0||1||0||0||– 0.532|
|5. India||1||0||1||0||0||– 0.973|
|6. Scotland||2||0||0||0||2||– 3.562|
Also, if you have not yet read our T20 World Cup Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- A Review – Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka
- B Review – Group B 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Scotland
- 1 Review – Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies
- 2 Review – Group 2 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, New Zealand
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 10/29/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).
Image Courtesy: Graphic (original work), Kyle Coetzer – Photo by Francois Nel-ICC/ICC via Getty Images, Mahmudullah – Photo by Mike Hewitt-ICC/ICC via Getty Images