Pakistan Vs Afghanistan Quick Review — Closest match of the tournament so far?
The ebbs and flow were palpable as Pakistan received its gravest threat in their unbeaten 3 win record. Good passion, great fight, brilliant viewing.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Toss: Afghanistan won the toss and chose to bat first.
Venue: Dubai International Stadium, Dubai, UAE
Umpires: Chris Brown & Joel Wilson
What Actually Happened
- Winner: Pakistan won by 5 wickets
- Scores:Afghanistan 147/6 – Pakistan 148/5
- Player of the Match: Asif Ali25* (7)
- Best Figures
- Imad Wasim (4-0-25-2)
- Rashid Khan (4-0-26-2)
- Most Runs
- Gulbadin Naib 35* (25), Mohammad Nabi 35* (32)
- Babar Azam 51 (47), Asif Ali 25* (7)
Moments of The Day: Asif Ali Rescues Pakistan
- Imad Wasim & Shadab Khan Disciplined –In Pakistan’s first game, Shaheen-Rizwan-Babar performed. In the next game, Haris Rauf-Malik-Asif Ali came to the party. Although Asif Ali was the man of the moment again today, Wasim-Shadab-Fakhar’s contributions could not be disregarded. Imad & Shadab combined for 8-0-47-3. Imad bowled well both in the pwowerplay and the middle overs, while Shadab Khan’s fielding at backward point was electric.
- Gulbadin Naib-Mohammad Nabi-Najibullah Zadran string a comeback. Afghanistan’s fighting spirit was on show today. To recover from 39-4 & later 76-6 in 13 overs to push towards 150 takes smart, sensible cricket. In the last three overs, Gulabdin Naib just hit Hasan Ali & Rauf out of the park.
Babar Azam Slow but Steady, Fakhar Zaman Shines, Shoaib Malik Continues His GoodForm, and Asif Ali hits 4 Sixes in 6 Balls to Wrap It Up
- Afghanistan had smartly held RashidKhan back till after the 10 over drinks break. Immediately he made an impact but DRS saved Babar Azam. The next over Fakhar Zaman departed to Nabi’s guile. Hafeez’s wicket followed. Match in balance.
- In comes Shoaib Malik and hits Rashid for a big six in his last over to reduce the pressure. Then, Naveen-ul-Haq drops Babar Azam. Pakistan in front.
- Final ball of his spell, Rashid to Babar, bowled ’em! Then a wonderful 2 run-1 wicket (Malik) over by Naveen Ul-Haq. Afghanistan right back in.
- 24 runs need in 12 balls.
- 6, 0, 6, 0, 6, 6. Pakistan win. That’s All. Easy as you like it.
So many ebbs and flows in this match! Brilliant game of cricket.
Another impactful innings from Asif Ali, who seems to have turned a corner. Brilliant side to watch this, Pakistan. Good fight by Afghanistan as well. They should not be disheartened.
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: Afghanistan Lose Another Close One Against Pakistan
- Pakistan Vs Afghanistan is becoming a real rivalry. Throughout the match, passion and emotion was pouring from the fans and the players, but this is now the second consecutive close World Cup game between the two. In the 2019 ODI World Cup, Afghanistan had almost won before Imad Wasim’s heroics brought Pakistan back. Pakistan won with only 2 balls to spare in 50 overs.
Hopefully Afghanistan can bounce back and still fight for the semi-finals spot.
Sighting of the Day
You know what is better than a Shaheen Shah Afridi? Two Afridis in a stadium together. The great Shahid Afridi was spotted today.
T20 World Cup Points Table, Stat Alert
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table, Highest Run Scorer, Highest Wicket Taker, Most Catches, and Most Dismissals. We will keep updating it in every article!
- Mahmudullah – 150 runs (Bangladesh, 6 Matches)
- Shakib Al Hasan – 11 wickets (Bangladesh, 4 Matches)
- Calum MacLeod – 6 catches (Scotland, 5 Matches)
- Nurul Hasan, Matthew Cross (Bangladesh/Scotland) – 5 dismissals
Group 1 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. England||2||2||0||0||4||+ 3.614|
|2. Australia||2||2||0||0||4||+ 0.727|
|3. South Africa||2||1||1||0||2||+ 0.179|
|4. Sri Lanka||2||1||1||0||2||– 0.416|
|5. West Indies||3||1||2||0||2||– 1.598|
|6. Bangladesh||3||0||3||0||0||– 1.069|
Group 2 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. Pakistan||3||3||0||0||6||+ 0.638|
|2. Afghanistan||2||1||1||0||2||+ 3.092|
|3. Namibia||1||0||1||0||2||+ 0.550|
|4. New Zealand||1||0||1||0||0||– 0.532|
|5. India||1||0||1||0||0||– 0.973|
|6. Scotland||2||0||0||0||2||– 3.562|
Also, if you have not yet read our T20 World Cup Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- A Review – Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka
- B Review – Group B 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Scotland
- 1 Review – Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies
- 2 Review – Group 2 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, New Zealand
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 10/29/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).
Image Courtesy: Graphic (original work), Kyle Coetzer – Photo by Francois Nel-ICC/ICC via Getty Images, Mahmudullah – Photo by Mike Hewitt-ICC/ICC via Getty Images