India Vs New Zealand Quick Review – India do not even fight as New Zealand spin defeats India again.
India have not lost to New Zealand in an ICC event since 2003. The last three, 2019 ODI World Cup, 2021 WTC & T20 World Cups especially crushing to Indian fans.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Toss: New Zealand won the toss and chose to field first.
Venue: Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai, UAE
Umpires: Marais Erasmus & Richard Kettleborough
What Actually Happened
- Winner: New Zealand won by 8 wickets
- Scores: India 110/7 New Zealand 111/2
- Player of the Match: Ish Sodhi 2/17
- Best Figures
- Trent Boult (4-0-20-3)
- Jasprit Bumrah (4-0-19-2)
- Most Runs
- Ravindra Jadeja 26 (19)
- Daryl Mitchell 49 (35)
Moments of The Day: Sodhi-Santner Magic Strangles India Once Again
- 5 years ago, in the first match of the 2016 T20 World Cup, the duo of Santner & Sodhi came together to choke India for 79. They were back at it again. Although Santner did not take a wicket, 4-0-15-0 made sure Sharma-Kohli could not free themselves. Them came Ish Sodhi (4-0-17-2) and finished it off taking both those wickets.
- A few days ago, I had questioned why Daryl Mitchell was opening when Williamson, Conway, Phillips, & Seifert were in the XI. Today, he showed exactly why. Low scoring chases can be tricky but he made sure NZ reaches the target with ease.
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: What Has Happened to Team India?
- India has lost 2 in 2 and are still mathematically in with a chance to qualify for the semi-finals. Losing two matches is not a huge issue. Pakistan & New Zealand are world class teams. What bothers me is the manner of defeat. Shaheen Shah Afridi & Trent Boult ensured India are on the backfoot, and they just couldn’t recover. For a team with immense depth & having dominated the decade, not competing & not showing intent for 80 overs straight is a concern.
T20 World Cup Points Table, Most Runs, Wickets, Catches, Dismissals
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table, Highest Run Scorer, Highest Wicket Taker, Most Catches, and Most Dismissals. We will keep updating it in every article!
- Charith Asalanka – 231 runs (Sri Lanka, 6 Matches)
- Wanindu Hasaranga – 16 wickets (Sri Lanka, 8 Matches)
- Calum MacLeod – 7 catches (Scotland, 6 Matches)
- Matthew Wade – 7 dismissals (Australia, 4 Matches)
Group 1 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. England||4||4||0||0||8||+ 3.183|
|2. Australia||4||3||1||0||6||+ 1.031|
|3. South Africa||4||3||1||0||6||+ 0.742|
|4. Sri Lanka||5||2||3||0||4||– 0.269|
|5. West Indies||4||1||3||0||2||– 1.558|
|6. Bangladesh||5||0||5||0||0||– 2.383|
Group 2 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. Pakistan||4||4||0||0||8||+ 1.065|
|2. Afghanistan||4||2||2||0||4||+ 1.481|
|3. New Zealand||3||2||1||0||4||+ 0.816|
|4. India||3||1||1||0||2||+ 0.073|
|5. Namibia||3||1||2||0||2||– 1.600|
|6. Scotland||3||0||3||0||0||– 2.645|
Also, if you have not yet read our T20 World Cup Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- A Review – Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka
- B Review – Group B 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Scotland
- 1 Review – Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies
- 2 Review – Group 2 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, New Zealand
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 11/01/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).
Image Courtesy: Graphic (original work), Kyle Coetzer – Photo by Francois Nel-ICC/ICC via Getty Images, Mahmudullah – Photo by Mike Hewitt-ICC/ICC via Getty Images