Today we will discuss the salary of women cricketers in the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) in Australia.
Although there are some debates on the ideal length of the WBBL, it has certainly helped change the women’s game.
However, there’s one question on every cricket fan’s mind: just how much do these players make?
WBBL Salary – By the Numbers
- The average salary of a player in the WBBL is $48,800 AUD or $30,812 USD (maximum 15 players in squad with a purse of $732,000 AUD or $462185 USD).
- The average salary for an overseas WBBL cricketer is $85,891 AUD or $54,232 (maximum of $1,975,500 AUD for 23 players). On the other hand, the average salary for a domestic player in the WBBL is $40,005 AUD or $25,259 USD (3,880,500 AUD or $245,0148 for 97 domestic spots).
- The maximum a domestic player in the Women’s Hundred can earn is $133,000 AUD ($83,976 USD), while the maximum overseas draft price is $110,000 AUD ($69,434 USD).
- The eight teams of the WBBL team have a combined salary cap of $5,856,000 AUD or $3,697,479 USD ($732,000 AUD or $462,185 for each of the 8 teams).
|Draft Picks||Salary Amounts|
|Platinum||$110,000 AUD ($69,454 USD)|
|Gold||$90,000 AUD ($56,826 USD)|
|Silver||$65,000 AUD ($41,041 USD)|
|Bronze||$40,000 AUD ($25,256 USD)|
|Direct Nomination||$61,750 AUD ($38,988 USD) Maximum|
*Note, the conversion rate we used was as follows: $1 AUD = $0.63 USD as of 10/21/2023.
Women’s Big Bash League 2023 Overseas Draft Picks – Salary of Women Cricket Player in the WBBL
Here were the rules for the direct nomination part of the overseas draft:
- There was a direct nomination for players who did not want to take part in the draft but could sign directly with a franchise. Note, that if a player chose to go through a direct nomination, then the maximum amount they could earn a maximum of 95% of the Silver draft bracket price or upto $61,750 AUD ($38,988 USD).
1. Platinum Draft Pick ($110,000 AUD ($69,454 USD))
|Marizanne Kapp||South Africa||Sydney Thunder|
|Sophie Devine (Retention Pick)||New Zealand||Perth Scorchers|
|Hayley Matthews||West Indies||Melbourne Renegades|
|Alice Capsey||England||Melbourne Stars|
|Shabnim Ismail||South Africa||Hobart Hurricanes|
|Amelia Kerr*||New Zealand||Brisbane Heat|
|Chloe Tryon||South Africa||Sydney Sixers|
|Heather Knight||England||Sydney Thunder|
|Harmanpreet Kaur||India||Melbourne Renegades|
|Laura Wolvaardt (Retention Pick)||South Africa||Adelaide Strikers|
*will miss the first part of the tournament. Sarah Glenn will replace her.
2. Gold Draft Pick ($90,000 AUD ($56,826 USD))
|Danni Wyatt*||England||Perth Scorchers|
|Maia Bouchier||England||Melbourne Stars|
|Bryony Smith||England||Hobart Hurricanes|
3. Silver Draft Pick ($65,000 AUD ($41,041 USD))
|Dani Gibson||England||Adelaide Strikers|
|Lauren Bell||England||Sydney Thunder|
|Bess Heath||England||Brisbane Heat|
4. Bronze Draft Pick ($40,000 AUD ($25,256 USD))
|Jess Kerr||New Zealand||Sydney Sixers|
5. Direct Nomination Pick ($61,750 AUD ($38,988 USD)) – Maximum
|Tammy Beamont||England||Melbourne Renegades|
|Amy Jones||England||Perth Scorchers|
|Sophia Dunkley||England||Melbourne Stars|
|Mignon du Preez||South Africa||Brisbane Heat|
|Lizelle Lee||South Africa||Hobart Hurricanes|
|Georgia Adams||England||Adelaide Striker|
|Chamari Athapaththu (Replacement)||Sri Lanka||Sydney Thunder|
The WBBL is going to be tested in the 2023 season.
We will learn if the overseas draft worked and if the length of the tournament should be reduced. Danni Wyatt withdrew due to fatigue. Other women cricketers are thinking about overkill of cricket and mental health as well.
What do you think? Where do you think will the Weber’s WBBL go on?
Related Cricket Content
For more content on women’s cricket, check this out
- 20 Years of Mithali Raj And Jhulan Goswami: Eternal Legends for Indian & Women Cricket
- WPL23 Auction Takeaways: Women’s Premier League List of Players Sold, Squads, Surprises, Exclusions, and More!
- 76 Greatest Women Cricketers of All Time: Who are the top female cricketers in history?
- What Can Ellyse Perry Not Do?
- How Many Times Has Australia Won the Cricket World Cup? Complete List of Australia’s ICC Trophies—Under-19, World Cups, Gold Medals, Men, Women, T20I, ODI, WTC!
- 17 South Africa World Cup Chokes and Heartbreaks: The Complete List (Men’s & Women’s Combined)
- History of Women’s Cricket World Cup: List of Winners, Hosts, Statistics, Most Runs, Most Wickets
Salary of Players in Franchise Leagues
- What is the Salary of an Indian Premier League (IPL) player in India?
- What is the Salary of a player in The Hundred (Men’s) in England?
- What is the Salary of a Caribbean Premier League (CPL) player in the West Indies?
Cricket and Finances Articles
For other content on Finances in Cricket, do read:
- How Much Money Does It Take to Host a Test Match?
- Top 12 Richest Cricket Boards (RANKED 2023): Which Cricket Board Has the Highest Net Worth?
- Top 11 Richest Cricket Leagues (By Average Salaries). Which Cricket League Pays the Most?
- How Much Do Different Types of Cricketers Earn Per Year (2022)? Salaries of Pujara, Stokes, Warner, Billings, Tim David Revealed!
- Salary of Cricketers (Men’s) from Each of the 12 Nations (2022)—The Complete Guide
- Virat Kohli Net Worth, Salary 2023
Frequently Asked Questions – Salary of Women’s cricketers in the WBBL in Australia
The average salary of a player in the WBBL is $48,800 AUD or $30,812 USD (maximum 15 players in squad with a purse of $732,000 AUD or $462185 USD).
Although domestic player salaries are not made public, the maximum a domestic player in the Women’s Big Bash League can earn is $133,000 AUD ($83,976 USD). Ellyse Perry will probably be making around this amount.
Marizanne Kapp, Sophie Devine, Hayley Matthews, Alice Capsey, Shabnim Ismail, Amelia Kerr, Chloe Tryon, Heather Knight, Harmanpreet Kaur, and Laura Wolvaardt are the most expensive players in the 2023 overseas WBBL draft as a Platinum Draft pick.
Sources: Australian women’s cricketers get new pay deal in five-year MOU – SportsPro (sportspromedia.com), All the names in the inaugural WBBL overseas draft | ESPNcricinfo, WBBL Draft recap: Kapp goes first in inaugural draft | cricket.com.au, Australian women’s cricketers get new pay deal in five-year MOU – SportsPro (sportspromedia.com)
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, LLC 2023. Originally published on 10/21/2023. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).