New Zealand Vs Namibia Quick Review – NZ not perfect but finishers ensure victory.
With a lower NRR than Afghanistan, their final game is now a must win despite already winning 3 in 4.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Toss: Namibia won the toss and chose to field first.
Venue: Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Sharjah, UAE
Umpires: Paul Reiffel & Paul Wilson
What Actually Happened
- Winner: New Zealand won by 52 runs
- Scores: New Zealand 163/4 Scotland 111/7
- Player of the Match: Jimmy Neesham 35* (23) & 1-0-6-1
- Best Figures
- Bernard Schotlz (3-0-15-1)
- Tim Southee (4-0-15-2)
- Most Runs
- Glenn Phillips 39* (21)
- Michael Van Lingen 25 (25)
Moments of The Day: Phillips, Neesham Solidify NZ’s Case
- NZ’s openers started well with a 30 run partnership in 4 overs before Guptill was caught out. In general, every batter in the NZ side contributed but at a slow SR.
- Guptill (100), Mitchell (126.66), Williamson (112), Conway (94.44)
- It was Glenn Phillips (SR 185.71) & Jimmy Neesham (152.17) with a 76* (36) partnership that made sure NZ finished strongly.
- Tim Southee is not the first bowler you think of for T20s. However, he manages to take wickets somehow (only one of few bowlers with 100+ Tests, ODI, & T20I wickets). A 4-0-15-2 set the tone with a slow powerplay and Namibia could not recover the finishing margin.
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: Namibia Lose the Plot Again
- Just like their last game Pakistan Vs Namibia, Namibia had strangled their opposition for most of the innings. At the end of the 16th, NZ were going at a snail’s pace with only 96/4 runs on the board. Last 4 overs yielded 67 runs.
- In comparison, Namibia were 92/4 at the end of the 16th. They only added 19 runs in the last 4. The finishing between the teams was the difference.
- Namibia are officially out of the tournament.
T20 World Cup Points Table, Most Runs, Wickets, Catches, Dismissals
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table, Highest Run Scorer, Highest Wicket Taker, Most Catches, and Most Dismissals. We will keep updating it in every article!
- Charith Asalanka – 231 runs (Sri Lanka, 6 Matches)
- Wanindu Hasaranga – 16 wickets (Sri Lanka, 8 Matches)
- Calum MacLeod – 7 catches (Scotland, 6 Matches)
- Matthew Wade – 7 dismissals (Australia, 4 Matches)
Group 1 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. England||4||4||0||0||8||+ 3.183|
|2. Australia||4||3||1||0||6||+ 1.031|
|3. South Africa||4||3||1||0||6||+ 0.742|
|4. Sri Lanka||5||2||3||0||4||– 0.269|
|5. West Indies||4||1||3||0||2||– 1.558|
|6. Bangladesh||5||0||5||0||0||– 2.383|
Group 2 Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. Pakistan||4||4||0||0||8||+ 1.065|
|2. New Zealand||4||3||1||0||6||+ 1.277|
|3. Afghanistan||4||2||2||0||4||+ 1.481|
|4. India||3||1||1||0||2||+ 0.073|
|5. Namibia||4||1||3||0||2||– 1.851|
|6. Scotland||3||0||3||0||0||– 2.645|
Also, if you have not yet read our T20 World Cup Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- A Review – Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka
- B Review – Group B 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Scotland
- 1 Review – Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies
- 2 Review – Group 2 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, New Zealand
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 11/05/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).
Image Courtesy: Graphic (original work), Kyle Coetzer – Photo by Francois Nel-ICC/ICC via Getty Images, Mahmudullah – Photo by Mike Hewitt-ICC/ICC via Getty Images