Ireland Vs Namibia Quick Review – WHAT A MOMENT FOR NAMBIA. WHAT A MOMENT FOR WORLD CRICKET.
Match Details, Scorecard, & Video Highlights
Toss: Ireland won the toss and chose to field first.
Venue: Sharjah Cricket Stadium
Umpires: Aleem Dar & Chris Brown
What Actually Happened
- Winner: Namibia won by 8 wickets
- Scores: Ireland 125/8 – Namibia 126/2
- Player of the Match: David Wiese
- Best Figures
- Jan Frylinck – 3/21
- Curtis Campher – 2/14
- Most Runs
- Paul Stirling 38 (24)
- Gerhard Erasmus – 53* (49)
Moments of The Day: Namibia Hold Nerve As Ireland Crash Out
- Paul Sitrling & Kevin O’Brien have served Irish cricket for more than a decade and they continued to deliver. A 62-run partnership in seven odd overs set the platform for Ireland. Unfortunately they could not capitalize.
- Although the batters have been in focus in Namibia’s progress, do not discount the collective bowling performance. With Frylinck (3/21), Scholtz (1/25), JJ Smit (1/27), Wiese (2/22), and Trumpelmann/Ya France (economical), Ireland only added 59 runs in the last 76 balls.
- Let us talk about the captain Gerhard Erasmus. Although Wiese got a player of the match for quickfire 28* (14) with two sixes, Erasmus held Namibia together (and Wiese himself said Erasmus should have received the award). Scoring 53 (29) and staying unbeaten to see his team through was an emotional moment. The mature innings magnified his leadership.
Broken Cricket Dream of the Day: Ireland Get a Taste of Their Own Medicine
- The Ireland cricket team was the pioneer of Associate nations. Their victory over Pakistan in 2007 CWC and further progress over the decade saw them receive Test status. They defeated Pakistan, England, West Indies in various stages and what happened today? Ireland were ‘upset’ by Namibia. Full circle. Crash out of the World Cup.
Tweet of the Day
The qualification complicacies and Round 1 of the T20 World Cup make it near impossible for certain Associate teams to join the big teams in the Super 12s. Namibia did it the hard way, by defeating at least 15 different nations.
T20 World Cup Points Table, Stat Alert
No need to go elsewhere for the Points Table, Highest Run Scorer, Highest Wicket Taker, Most Catches, and Most Dismissals. We will keep updating it in every article!
- Max O’Dowd – 123 runs (Netherlands, 3 Matches)
- Shakib Al Hasan – 9 wickets (Bangladesh, 3 Matches)
- Calum MacLeod, Jatinder Singh (Scotland/Oman, 3 Matches) – 5 catches
- Nurul Hasan (Bangladesh) – 5 dismissals
Group A Table
|Points||Net Run Rate|
|1. Sri Lanka||3||3||0||0||6||+ 3.754|
|2. Namibia||3||2||1||0||4||– 0.523|
|3. Ireland||3||1||2||0||2||– 0.853|
|4. Netherlands||3||0||3||0||0||– 2.460|
Also, if you have not yet read our T20 World Cup Previews, here is a list of all of them! Check them out and share ahead:
- A Review – Group A 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Ireland, Namibia, Netherlands, Sri Lanka
- B Review – Group B 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Bangladesh, Oman, Papua New Guinea, Scotland
- 1 Review – Group 1 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: Australia, England, South Africa, West Indies
- 2 Review – Group 2 2021 T20 World Cup Squads Dissected: India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, New Zealand
© Copyright @Nitesh Mathur and Broken Cricket Dreams, 2021. Originally published on 10/23/2021. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Broken Cricket Dreams with appropriate and specific direction to the original content (i.e. linked to the exact post/article).
Image Courtesy: Graphic (original work), Kyle Coetzer – Photo by Francois Nel-ICC/ICC via Getty Images, Mahmudullah – Photo by Mike Hewitt-ICC/ICC via Getty Images